Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

leg of lamb direct or indirect?

grillin'caledongrillin'caledon Posts: 1
edited 3:03AM in EggHead Forum
We are newbies with the egg and loving it! Have had great success with spatchcock chicken, ribs and t-rex steak. Tonight we want to cook a marinated boneless leg of lamb. Should we do it direct or indirect, raised grid, what temp?
Thanks!
·

Comments

• RascalRascal Posts: 3,358
    There are some lamb recipes in the cookbook here on top of the forum page..
    ·
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    This is one of those things where you have to find a recipe or follow your instincts to what you like.

Lamb is good cooked hot to med rare or lo-n-slo until it can be pulled.

I also like it cooked with a reverse sear (lo-n-slo) up to about 110 and then a quick sear.

I cook mostly direct on a raised grate, but there is nothing wrong with indirect.
    ·
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,358
    In years past, my mother would always prepare a leg (bone-in) for Easter, and the 'treasure' was no doubt, the shank, along with the onions & potatoes from the baking pan..
    ·
  • James MBJames MB Posts: 349
    For a bonelss leg I'd grill it - direct and reasonably hot. Raised gets my vote depending on temp, either is good.
    I like to think of raised as roasting, lower as grilling.
    For bone in I'd say indirect and hence raised.
    ·