Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Secret to rib liner removal....

transversaltransversal Posts: 719
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone found a successful, easy method for removing the liner on the back of rib slabs? I have read using a butter knife to loosen it and then pulling with a paper towel and all other kinds of methods. But, last Saturday, I couldn't have removed the liner skin on my slabs of back ribs if I would've used a John Deere Tractor and tow chains.

Anybody got the secret?
·

Comments

• Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Removing the membrane as you stated, works great. I start in the center of the rips or wherever I can get the back side of the butter knife under the membrane. The paper towel provides a good grip. If the membrane begins to tear pull in a different direction or start i a new spot.

·
  • grillmandangrillmandan Posts: 270
    I have always used the papaer towel method. Works, but it is still an art. Practice...practice..and more!
    Means you get to eat a lot of ribs!
    ·
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,710
    If you want a tool (and what guy doesn't) you could try a pair of fish skinners. I have seen it used successfully. There is an old brand called Fishermans Pinchers that you can find on ebay
    ·
  • transversaltransversal Posts: 719
    Would yall be willin to come over here Sunday morning and show me how? I impailed my hand about 33 times with the damn butter knife......never lifted the membrane. Grampa....does that make me a lame brain?
    ·
  • KokemanKokeman Posts: 815
    I use butter knife and paper towel also. Practice every weekend till October and you will get it.
    ·
    OK.....thanks one and all. I thought someone was gonna suggest some secret tool or butcher's cure all to the problem. Back to the butter knife and paper towels. :(
    ·
    I'd be willing for you to drive up to North Alabama and show you :P
    ·
  • Rezen73Rezen73 Posts: 356
    If you have trouble getting the membrane to separate on one rib, try another rib. Personally, I don't use a butter knife, I use a metal skewer with a pointed tip. I find it has much more precision to get initial separation going than a butter knife, then I proceed with the paper towel method once I can fit a finger inbetween the membrane and the rack of ribs.
    ·
    Be there in the mornin, Gator!! ;)
    ·
    Now, you sound like a man of Rezen. ;)
    ·
    You better knock and announce :ohmy:
    ·
  • triehle98triehle98 Posts: 208
    where did you buy they ribs ? if costco , they do not have a membrane on them . just a thought
    ·
    Announce what? :S
    ·
  • "Sparky""Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I have used the paper towel method with good results many times, kinda like this ;)

·
    your presence .... so you are not mistaken for a vagrant (like Rolling Egg)
    ·
    Usually get my back ribs at Sams in a 3 pack....just like Car Wash Mike said.
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,683
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
    triehle98 wrote:
    where did you buy they ribs ? if costco , they do not have a membrane on them . just a thought

Ribs from Costco in the UK still have membranes on them. At least the ones from the Costco in Aberdeen, do.
    ·
    But, Gator.....I AM a vagrant!! What time is breakfast.......and by the way, I'm partial to sunny side up eggs with pork sausage and toast and grits. Either patti or link pork sausager is fine.....3 eggs, please. And look, good coffee, please......none'a that yankee stuff.
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    There you go. ;)
    ·
    Sparky, that guy was cheatin!! He used a dynamite charge to lift that damn membrane......then stuck a hand grenade under it to make it look easy. That's cheatin!!
    ·
    Rezen, resin, rezzin'... who's keeping track? :D

1:20am.. which means it's 4:20 somewhere in the world! hah.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,888
    Over the years I've found that some racks, the membrane comes off pretty easily, while others (including the last one I smoked) were so *#&%^!@!! I left them on.

Next rack, I'm gonna try heating the membrane with my creme brulee torch; wonder if that'll make it easier?....

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
    Oh, if you are a vagrant then you will be shot on sight and I will eat your breakfast....can you also bring your eggs and update your will so I can have them :cheer:
    ·
    Or maybe I can mail the ribs to you and you can perform the procedure on'em and mail'em back. Would that be OK?
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    I'll feed you Jack. I just got some fresh meat last weekend. :evil:
    ·
    Man.....2fat.....it's gettin viscious on here!! I thought I was in like flint over in Alabama and now the guy is telling me he's gonna shoot me on site!! And all I asked for was a rib circumcision!! :ohmy:
    ·
    1:20AM where you are? Where are you?
    ·
    only vagrants....if you promise to be nice we'll roll out the red carpet. Might even share some corn liquor witcha
    ·
    Botch, I heat the damn thing with my weed burner if it would make the job easier.
    ·