Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime vs USDA Prime Beef

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We had an interesting conversation with the 'Demo' guy in our H.E.B. store. He was serving samples of steak. He said he used their aged USDA Prime ribeye with Adams seasoning on it. It was pretty good. I have done better but we didn't discuss why.

Part of his pitch was about the difference between the terms "Prime" steak and "USDA Prime" steak. He said H.E.B. is the only grocery stores in Houston selling USDA Prime although others sometimes claim to do so.

So I came home and started Googling the subject.

I learned something about the inspection of meat and the grading of meat. I thought I would pass it on for comment.

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/beefporkothermeats/qt/primebeef.htm

Please feel free to set the record straight if you know more about it. I think we would all appreciate knowing more.

Spring "My Grub Stake Was Just Enough To Pay For My Steak Grub" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I have always been told not to trust the grading if you do not see a USDA stamp.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Spring Chicken: That is correct. Inspection is mandatory, and thus free. Grading is voluntary, and must be paid for by the producer. However, it is completely illegal to claim a cut as 'prime', or 'choice', or whatever...if it has not been officially graded. Here is the USDA standings on the issue:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/inspection_&_grading/index.asp

I am a bit suspect of somebody trying to tell you the difference between "prime" and "USDA Prime", as nothing should be sold as "prime" or ANY grade if it has not been USDA inspected. Hope this helps a bit!
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Thanks LC.

I wonder who inspects the small butcher who slaughters and sells his own beef?

And what about inspection and grading outside the US?

We consummers really put a lot of faith in a system we know nothing about, don't we?

Spring "Remove The Leather And Feed 'em The Rest" Chicken
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Options
    Heard the same thing about Angus beef. It has to say Certified Angus. Sam's sells Angus beef but it doesn't say it's Certified.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I noticed that about Sams Club and a couple of my local grocery stores as well. You might also see "CAB" meaning Certified Angus Beef. Anyway, I always look for "CAB" when purchasing on sale in an unfamiliar store. Having typed that, I feel most confident when purchasing meats from my local butcher as well as Publix...my local butcher recommended Publix for times when he isn't open. :)
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    My only issue with CAB is that you are not getting a quality grade. All you are paying for is a "breed".
    In general they are known to produce good meat but you never know. When you purchase cut steaks you can see the meat grain and such but if you buy a primal it could be like the lottery.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    The "Demo" guy in H.E.B. also said there is no difference in breed of cow, only how they were raised.

I take that to mean cows raised on free-range type food would taste/texture differently than a penned up, grain-fed, cow.

Spring "Same But Not The Same" Chicken
  • docbipe
    docbipe Posts: 28
    Options
    Some of the worst meat I have ever had came from my father in law. They grazed daily in open pastures on good greens, but he didnt grain them enough. Bland tasteless, and impossible to chew. So, the meat is surely influenced by how the animals were raised. Some breeds will produce better quality than others on the same diet, but the final decision is up to the consumer. Look at the cut for marbling, etc. You can generally trust your judgement with a little experience.
  • 3andsomedust
    Options
    Regarding CAB (Certified Angus Beef), it is not simply a "breed" - this Beef is Graded and undergoes some of the most difficult requirements in the Industry. I believe only about 8% of the cattle slaughtered in the US qualify for the CAB distinction. Also, the CAB program requires that the minimum Grade required to be CAB is the upper half of "Choice"...so it's Choice quality beef at a minimum.

This doesn't mean that you can't get a tough CAB steak now and then...but they really have a lot of steps in the verification process to minimize the chances of this happening. I try to buy it whenever i get the chance...it's easily one of the best Beef programs that exist.
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Options
    That's one question I have re free ranging beef. As with humans, the more exercise beef cattle get, the less tender it'll be. Wagu?, the Japanese beef is massaged, feed beer and gets almost no exercise, so that's why the beef is so marbled and tender. Just my 2 cents.