Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Smoking Question

Options
Egghead123SC
Egghead123SC Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing ribs today first time, using car wash mike method. I have some of the smoking pellets from Fred's BBQ with the little cast iron pot. It say use 1/3 cup of pellets and smoke lasts 45 minutes to an hour. So, can I use these and when I spritz the ribs with cider/apple vinegar each hour, just refill the pellet pot with 1/3 cup more pellets at same time? (alternatively, I can run to Lowes and get some apple or cherry wood chunks, just wondering how the pellets work and if anybody has done this?)

Thanks

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The iron pot is a good thing for generic metal cookers that do not have the airflow control the Egg does. Just scatter the pellets throughout the lump for lasting smoke, or have a heap in the center for initial smoke. An Egg shut down to lo-n-slo temps will not allow the wood to flame up.
  • Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    Options
    I don't use pellets. Just chunks of wood. Lowes and home depot have reasonable bags of smoking wood. I don't spritz my ribs either. I just leave the lid shut the first three hours. Then foil and steam 45mins. The glaze direct until they are like I like em. Do what you want and find out what works for you.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I don't know about the pellets I use chunks and put them in at the beginning of the cook. I use two or three chunks and feel it is sufficient for the entire cook. Tim :)
  • leeflash
    leeflash Posts: 66
    Options
    never tryed the pellets,I use small chunks,3 or 4 mixed in with the lump.I dont open for the first 3 hrs,then when you do open you may need to rearange as to some hot spots.I use the rib rack and its easy to spin it around.Then another hour on.I slather the BBQ sauce on the last hr of the cook,then wrap in foil.My cooks are low and slow for about 5 hrs total.Then enjoy
  • Egghead123SC
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I ran by Lowes but they only had hickory and mesquite chunks, and I did not want to use those. So, I am going with the cherry pellets in little iron pot right in coals and see how it works.

As to recipes and methods, and as a new egg owner, I am overwhelmed by the variations on ribs--and everything else--to spritz or not to spritz? that is the question.

To solve this, I have decided to just go straight by recipe (like car wash mike ribs), and then decide if maybe varying something would help. Made ABT's last night for first time, and just used the recipe in 2006 eggfest list and worked great.

Thanks for all suggestions, this is a great place to learn. So much food to grill/smoke, so little time!!