Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Trivet

Options
Bud Ugly
Bud Ugly Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Tim & all you guys that use the cast iron trivets, now that I've rushed out to get one I've got a question for ya... Do y'all use the cast iron all the time now, or do you only use it for HOT fires? Does it make much of a difference if you're trying to keep your Egg temp down to say 200 or so?
thanks,
bud

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Bud Ugly,[p]Put it in and leave it. I use it 100% of the time and it works great![p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Bud Ugly,
    I use it for everything. Works great for low/slow too. More holes to clog up! [p]Done many a brisket, butt and a couple batches of jerky with it. Haven't put my ceramic grate back on since last September when I got the trivet. You will enjoy, and should notice the benefits immediately.[p]Egg on.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bud Ugly
    Bud Ugly Posts: 8
    Options
    Bob & NB,[p]Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to giving it a try.[p]regards,
    bud

• Billy
    Billy Posts: 68
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Probably a dumb question, because I'm sure the answer is somewhere in this forum, but what are the benefits that you mention? You also say "more holes to clog up" .Isn't that a bad thing? I would think that the larger holes in the standard grate would clog less and thus give better air flow. If the trivet is that much better, I will definitely go that route, but it seems that the larger holes would be better.
    Thanks, Billy

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Bud Ugly,[p]I use mine all the time like Nature Boy and Bob. I have found no down side to its use at all - none. On the other hand - its benefits are many. For doing lo & slo you will find the only benefit is less chance that the holes will be blocked in the ceramic grate. For higher temp cooking you will have many benefits, lite from under the grate for faster grilling fire, less chance for air blockage, much better temp control, faster recovery from a low temp (open the bottom vent at 300 deg and you can watch it go to 500). I don't think it would get much hotter, I had my large Egg up to 1200+ once or twice and that was with the ceramic grate - no need to go higher than 700 deg in my opinion. [p]The iron grate will "sag" after a month or two. I flip mine over when it does that so it sags the other way for awhile. Enjoy! [p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Billy,
    The trivet has a few different sized holes, some larger than the ceramic, and some smaller. Also a lot more of them than the ceramic. More holes, more air. More holes mean less chance of clogging.[p]I had said "More holes to clog up" , but that does sound a bit funky. Man, sometimes words are tricky!![p]Anyway...try it out. It is inexpensive, and if you don't like it, it is easy to switch back![p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ