Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Briskets is complete and it was good!!!!

Options
Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 975
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We just finished dinner and I do have to admit that it was a good one. I started out yesterday with Dr. BBQ’s Big-Time Competition Brisket recipe using a version of his Big-Time Barbeque Rub.[p]681f6d70.jpg[p]With the rub applied the brisket was wrapped and left overnight in the fridge.[p]1b336d79.jpg[p]I got up this morning at 5:30AM to start my egg and after 45 min. I had a stable fire at 225 deg at the grate, with the help of my new BBQ Guru so I put the brisket in and closed the lid at 6:15AM.[p]1f8e65e6.jpg[p]007b893f.jpg[p]I left the brisket alone (it was real hard not to take a look) and after 9hrs. the internal temperature of the brisket was 190 deg. I took the brisket off and set in a cooler wrapped in foil and a few blankets for 2 hrs.[p]a3060e2d.jpg[p]While I was waiting I made Dr. BBq’s Bonesmokers Cornbread Casserole on the egg.[p]5da22f75.jpg[p]All was served up with some BBQ sauce that I have been playing with the last few weeks, Potato salad that Mrs. Railroader made. We popped a couple of caps and sat down to a most enjoyable meal.[p]7f07224a.jpg[p]2894fea3.jpg[p]abf27a2b.jpg[p]Many thanks to all that helped today and kudos to Dr. BBQ for a most excellent book!!

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,[p]Looks like a good cook and a good testimonial for Dr BBQ’s new book as well. [p]Regarding your earlier post today about your temperature being higher at the grate than up in the dome….. In your 5th picture, the pit probe seems very close to the aluminum foil you are using as a heat shield. Could that be what is throwing off the temperature and giving you the false reading?? The probe needs to be a few inches away from anything on the grate.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Very astute observation my young man!! I totally missed that and I bet that is why I had the readings I had. I will be more careful in the future.[p]Thanks,
    John

• tstick
    tstick Posts: 67
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    It all looks really great! How much did that brisket weigh? tstick

• MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    I received Ray's book today. A great collection of new cooking methods[p]Howard in Bartow

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    tstick,
    The brisket was 4.5 lbs. I had a total cook time of 9 hrs. in the egg and 2 hrs. wrapped up in a cooler. I think my grate temp was off like thirdeye said because of the heat shield I made for the guru probe wires so yours may cook a little different. All in all this was a good 1st time out concerning a brisket.

• jaymer
    jaymer Posts: 49
    Options
    thirdeye,
    i don't even see a pit probe on picture #5. i see two meat probes inserted into the brisket.
    and you don't need to mess with a shield for the teflon coated probe wires - thats just a waste of effort IMHO.[p]using a supplied Kayman Clip that came with your Guru, just push one onto the Pit Temp probe and clip it onto the Meat probe. That way your Guru is getting a decent reading on the temp hitting the meat at its central point.[p]If you look at the meat probe, you can see the line where the internal sensor is - less than 1/2 inch from the tip, so push that puppy all the way in if coming from the side or just stick it in the top of the meat down into the thick 'heart' of the flat.[p]jaymer...

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Hi jaymer,[p]The pictures are of John's cook not mine, but it appeared to me that the clip is at the end edge of the foil he has placed on the grate. Note the 3 wires crossing the gasket, two probe wires & one pit sensor wire.[p]BTW, you are correct about not using foil to protest the Guru's wires. Both Fred and Bob have posted this advice many times over the years on all of the ceramic forums, but the question still surfaces from time to time. Anyway, not trying to speak for John, but I'm sure he will take your advise about not using the foil. He has jumped into the world of ceramic cookers with both feet and it sounds like he is really enjoying himself.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I will take your advice and not use the foil on my next cook. I also agree with jaymer and I will clip the temp probe next time to the meat probe. Thanks again for all the help.