Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

A Fun Little Cook!

Desert Oasis WomanDesert Oasis Woman Posts: 5,604
edited 1:11AM in EggHead Forum
#1 & Only Son and Friend returned from Texas Road Trip for rest and reloading before resuming the complete return of friend to the big city (another 240 miles each way for #1 today :laugh: )

Found some beef tenderloin steaks on sale for half-price last week and "wet aged" them in the package all week for last night's dinner! Not much trimming required, but had already decided to make bacon-wrapped noisettes from them :woohoo: Only freshly ground white pepper from Savory Spice Store in Colorado Springs used as seasoning on meat.

Some fresh beets from the Desert Oasis Garden + a few from Old Colorado Springs Farmer's Market; a large, round Mexican squash from CS, and a couple of sweet red peppers rounded out the grilled veggie selection. EVOO, Hawaiian Sea Salt, and Freshly Ground White Pepper for seasoning.

Also made a green tomato chutney from 2#s of tomatoes gleaned from some severe pruning of the 3 way-overgrown tomato plants :blink: Served that over whole wheat couscous (no pics)

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

Roasted the beets indirectly at 425F for about 45 minutes.
Removed plate setter and grilled meat and veggies direct at fire ring level. Good meal and Good dinner companions B)
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,155
    I guess I am late for dinner :angry:
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • :laugh:

COME ON OUT!
    The second and third weeks in August look good ;)
    ·
  • FluffybFluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Looks like a wonderful summertime dinner! Glad you had a good time with your son!
    ·
  • lots of tasty morsels without being "heavy" ;)
    ·
  • Bear 007Bear 007 Posts: 343
    Looks good. I've never seen beets done that way, they must be real sweet, whats wet aging, fill me in please.
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,315
    Look delish! Next time ring the diner bell louder :laugh: :laugh: and i will bring the wine
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    It ALL looks GREAT DOW.Tell me more about these roasted beets.I have 2 rows in my garden just about ready.Only way I ever did em was boil,then peel,(skin slips right off after boiling) then can em. :blink: :huh:
    ·
  • You are ON!
    ·
  • Roasted Beets can't be Beet :pinch:

With all the talk of dry aging and wet aging, this was just a play on the terms :laugh:
    Real wet aging is meat sealed in a vacuum and left to let the meat's enzymes tenderize and flavor the meat.
    I just left mine in the original packaging to keep air exposure, and bacteria, to a minimum.......smelled a bit strong, but was just the blood in the giant maxi pad attached to the styrofoam container :P
    Meat was great B)
    ·
  • Would guess YOUR canned beets would be worth tasting...but NEVER was a fan of the commercially canned beets :sick:

Ku loves beet greens....turned me on to fresh roasted beets so he could cook some greens....also read about them in Barbara Kafka's Roasting, A Simple Art (1995).

Just roast high temp, indirect, until tender. Peel off the crackled skin and enjoy the delightfully sweet and tender beets :woohoo:
    ·