Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sloooooo brisket

Options
B&BKnox
B&BKnox Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
cooking my first brisket, using a combo of thirdeye's and bubba tim's method. Also using the Auber temp control for the first time (I calibrated it before use). Brisket is a Sams club Angus choice flat, 4.6 lbs. I set the auber to 220 degree, grid temp and off I went.

10.5 hours into the cook the brisket is 184 internal (thats 2.28 hours per lb, so far). I used a chart to track temps and many times the dome temp and grid temp where the same (220). At the 10 hour mark I pulled the auber, went manual and raised dome temp to 260. Out of curiosity I checked the calibration of the auber in boiling water, it was within 1 degree of accurate.

So dome and grid temp were the same, that seems really odd. Brisket going over 2.5 hours per lb, wow. late dinner tonight. Bubba tim says 215 grid temp, those briskets must take forever. I hope it will be good.
Be Well

Knoxville TN

Comments

• B&BKnox
    Options
    11.5 hours in, dome temp now 295 (now 2.5 hours per lb). Brisket internal 190, thermapen found 1 spot 184. This is crazy. I know you can't rush the Q, but, I am hungry and the beast has not relaxed yet.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • N'awlins
    N'awlins Posts: 90
    Options
    Some of the briskets I've done I pulled at 188 and foiled and let rest. They where very moist and cut well.
  • B&BKnox
    Options
    I guess there is a lot to learn. I ended up pulling after 12 hours with the internal 197. Based on stick it test it felt reasonably tender kinda of like sticking a half baked potato. Short rest, 30 minutes (family hungry). Had great taste and was reasonably tender and pretty moist. Still 2.6 hours per lb seems pretty long. Guess I should of started my cook at midnight.

The auber worked great though and for 7 hours it kept the temp, mostly + or - 1 degree.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,505
    Options
    Relatively new to BGE but have lots of water/gasser smoker experience...that said with a calibrated dome temp of 250*F all of my brisket flats have averaged around 2.1 hours/lb to the twisted fork tender finish. So you are right there.
    Recent posts (check search feature) about fast brisket cooks at higher temps but I haven't tried it yet.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.