Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

80 pounds of chicken

Options
Rufus
Rufus Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I offered to have a little gathering of friends from work and family. I thought maybe 20-30 people. But people have heard of the Egg and now 80 are coming. I have 40 pounds of wings and 40 pounds of hindquarters cut into thigh and leg. People are coming at 1:00 Saturday. I am cooking many pounds of spare ribs Friday and these will need a final turn in the egg. Any suggestion for cooking that much chicken and still be able to put the ribs back on for their final 30-45 minutes?

Thanks.

Comments

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Got an oven? I'm thinking the wings will be the least receptive to any sort of reheating or holding to temp, so they need to be cooked last.

If I were in your situation, I would finish the ribs first, then hold them in disposable, aluminum trays on the bottom rack of the oven, set to a low temp.

Cook the legs and thighs next, then again, put them in aluminum, disposable trays, and put them on the middle/top racks of the oven.

Finally, cook the wings, and serve them directly from the egg, as you have a helper pull everything else out of the oven.

If you run out of room in the oven, you can pull the ribs, wrap them in heavy-duty foil and towels, and keep them warm in a cooler. As long as their temp stays above 140, you should be good to go.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Quick, go buy 4, maybe 5 more large eggs!! :laugh: :P :evil: :laugh:
  • mxdad
    mxdad Posts: 47
    Options
    Capt. Frank wrote:
    Quick, go buy 4, maybe 5 more large eggs!! :laugh: :P :evil: :laugh:
    That is the best idea LOL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yikes!

What's your set up? A fellow who hasn't posted here for awhile, "Celtic Wolf," did catering, and I believe he had dual Xls.

I'm not a caterer, but I'd suppose the solution might be lots of warm holding containers. Cook the maximum amount of chix you can all morning, and hold.

Oh, and I salute you for your number of friends and family you have. Maybe next time ask them to cook for you.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe ask your local dealer to bring over a couple of BGE's and he might have a chance of selling them on the spot!

Good Luck!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    This is very similar to another post awhile back. The short answer is that if you have one egg and 80 people coming, DON'T cook chicken. Pulled pork can be prepared with sides to feed that many. Chicken takes 40-45 minutes per load. Holding chicken takes special utensils to hold safe temps and they are made for catering and quality could suffer. If you are not a caterer, you are in over your head.
    Change the time, change the guest list, change the menu or all three. This could be a very unpleasant day especially if someone or many get sick.
    I am normally a 'can do' guy but there is no easy answer that pops out to me.

I have 18 years in restaurants. Need a second opinion? ping little chef