Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Such A Sad 4th of July

GeorgiaBornGeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
edited 8:14PM in EggHead Forum
My wife and I were invited to our neighbor's house for the 4th. We go there a lot and I usually Egg something because those people just can't cook BBQ. When I don't cook, people always ask where my BBQ is, so a couple of days before I asked how many people were coming because I was going to cook baby backs. My neighbor told me not to cook ribs because he was cooking a butt and something called "country ribs".

Now, this dude has TWO smokers but he cooked the butt and the terribly tough ribs in the oven. The butt was pulled and put into a casserole dish and bbq sauce was added and then it was baked like a casserole. The ribs were too tough to cut with a knife.

5 people asked where my bbq was. It was oh so sad that I didn't get to cook on the 4th and I ended up eating a Ball Park Frank (not 100% beef!) cooked on propane and some really bad potato salad.

Next year I don't ask. I just cook!
·

Comments

• My condolences. :unsure:
    ·
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,358
    I was about to offer my condolence.. Glad to hear no one expired..
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Sorry to hear the news. We egg'rs kind of get snobby don't we. :)

Country ribs are dang good (when done right). I have tasted some knock your socks off oven/crock pot pulled pork.

Sounds like your friend has one single problem... he can't cook and doesn't cook to temperature done stage. As long as I cook butts to +/- 200° it is always tender, some methods of cooking taste better than others though.

GG
    ·
  • BigBadgerBigBadger Posts: 461
    Fly the flag at half-mast...
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,851
    I understand the disappointment. Every time I see one of these I'm reminded of my b-i-l dried out Thanksgiving turkeys!
    GA2385R8_web_jpg_1222.jpg
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Nothing wrong with country ribs at all, even though they really aren't ribs. So don't be knocking them. ;)
    ·
  • Gator Bait Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

When they use the oven over two smokers you have to be suspicious! Better luck next time. ;)

Blair

·
  • transversaltransversal Posts: 719
    "b-i-l dried?" What's that, Ron?
    ·
  • GeorgiaBornGeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
    Well Bacchus, there certainly is something wrong with "country ribs" when they're undercooked in the oven and you can't pull or cut the meat off the bone and they are drowned in a terribly nasty BBQ sauce. Just sayin
    ·
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Ron,

This is what I picture. :laugh:

images.jpg
    ·
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Sometimes you just shouldn't take no for an answer. B)
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,851
    LOL - yes but with lots more wood flying from the explosion!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • sounds like me neighbors. SO w hen dave says not to cook or nothing to bring I still do,
    ·