Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Check out my butt!

Options
CrazyHarry
CrazyHarry Posts: 112
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry, just food pron here. ;-)

Put on a 7.5 pound bone in pork butt last night at midnight. The dome temp seemed to want to hover around 220 all day so I didn't argue, but it took a LONG time to cook. In fact, I ran out of lump and had to add some more.

Anyway, here's how it looked after about 16 hours in the Egg. (I pulled it at a bit over 18 hours.)

5900116912_b8406173ee_z_d.jpg

(I've seen some butts that almost look black. Is it sugar in the rub or marinade that causes that?)

I wrapped the butt in foil and let it rest for about an hour, then gave my wife some before pulling the rest. It was delicious, and super moist!

Comments

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Nice looking butt, great color. Yes, sugar based rubs and sauces will darken the meat. As long as it does not taste burnt, it will work for me. 16 hours seems a little long for a small butt. Check you thermometer to make sure it is calibrated. Two temps for pork that you should keep in the back of you mind. For sliced pork, pull at 160 - 170, for pulled pork 190 - 200. Dougle wrap in foil, place in a small cooler for 1 hours and your done. Have a great 4th....
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • cougar_bbq
    cougar_bbq Posts: 14
    Options
    Looks great! You might want to bump your temp up to 250. Grill temp is usually a bit lower and if dome temp says 220 your grill temp is likely very close to the desired internal temp of the pork thereby taking a long time to cook. I bet that bark was mighty tasty too.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    Pulled pork on the egg is the best.. fairly easy if the temp stays put..just takes time but what else do we have..Looks great.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    Pulled pork on the egg is the best.. fairly easy if the temp stays put..just takes time but what else do we have..Looks great.