Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problem using remote thermometer with no gasket;?

Options
TNT54
TNT54 Posts: 40
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My EGG no longer has a gasket, and it cooks fine. If there's a gap between the top and the bottom it's pretty small and doesn't affect temperature or the ability to shut off air to the fire.

But since the gasket went I haven't used a thermometer with a probe wire because I'm concerned that the ceramic may get too hot around the wire, causing it to fail. Many years ago I "broke" a thermometer by letting the probe wire get too hot where it touched a grill lid, and I don't want to do that again. With the gasket insulating around the probe wire it was no problem, but now that I'm gasketless, I'm wondering whether I should be concerned.

I have an older Polder and a newer Maverick, if it makes any difference. All thoughts are appreciated. I did a quick search and didn't find this topic, but I suspect someone has discussed it before.

Thanks in advance.

T.

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Just run it down through the daisy wheel. ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    been doing it for years on low and slows only, cooks below 300
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    I tried the fishlessman method for the first time this past Sunday and it worked like a champ.
  • TNT54
    Options
    Now that you mention it, I think I've read that before. Sounds like a good idea, but I bet the first time I try it I'll open the lid and the thermometer will go flying.

Thanks,

T.
  • TNT54
    Options
    You're right that the primary time I'm using a remote temp probe is for low and slow, but there are certainly time (chicken, etc.) when I'm running at 350-375 or hotter. I guess I never use a temp probe when I'm searing steaks, etc., so I probably just shouldn't worry about it. Or run it down through the daisy wheel like Rimnem says.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts. Saved me the trouble of putting on the High-Que gasket.

T.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    How about wrapping the portion of the probe cable that is in contact with the dome in aluminum foil?
    That should help quite a bit.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • brisket30
    brisket30 Posts: 122
    Options
    Why just get a new gasket and alleviate the issue in all. they are inexpensive and easy to install.

Otherwise run it up the daisy wheel.
  • TNT54
    Options
    Maybe, but I thought aluminum was a good thermal conductor. Not as good as copper, but good enough for All-Clad to use as the core material in most of their pots and pans.

Probably better to just bite the bullet and put a new gasket on. I got one from High-Que, but have been too lazy to install it. Plus, everything is working so well that I hate to change anything.

Thanks,

T.