Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini or Small?

Options
dan
dan Posts: 57
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a good sized metal offset I use as a BBQ, I would like a small ceramic rig to use for steaks, kebabs etc. Is the mini too small? Is the small about right or would you even go with a medium?

Comments

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    Dan,
    I bought a large. After a few months, I gave my offset away. Best move I made. Later added a small for camping and a mini because I got a deal on it. My favorite is still the large. [p]Dave

• dan
    dan Posts: 57
    Options
    I won't be giving my 36" x 8' away any time soon..lol[p]
    What do you think of your mini? Is it too small?

• IndianaJames
    Options
    Dan,[p]Bought the LGE last year, then needed one for camping etc. Went with the small, as I can cook for 4, steaks, or two chickens. with a grill extender for veggies etc. Makes it OK for the car, boat. still heavy, but the mini was just too limiting for doing a meal. made a wood box for the small, set it on a milk carton, is just right. also compliments the LGE whn doig a large party cook.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Dan,
    it really depends on how much food you would want to grill at one time on the grill.large is 18 in dia, med is 15 in dia, small is 13 in dia, mini is just to small in my opinion. ive used all the grill space on my large lots of times and i dont cook for large crowds. figure out how many kabobs will fit on a small, draw out a circle and put your skewers on it and that should tell you what you may need. you may find that there is a lump savings if you just do one pork butt in a large compared to that metal smoker you now use, and it may just be a practical investment to add to the cooker you now have

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Dan,
    The Mini is our second Egg with #1 being the large. The Mini is great for a quick steak or pork chops. We use the Mini about 25% of the time while the remainder is all large cooking. I feel there's a lot more control on the large, takes the same amount of time to fire up as a Mini. Remember there's on and 8" grill surface and you are very close to the coals on a mini. Wouldn't ever be without little Miss Mini though. Maybe this season I'll try to a small or med. to the collection . . . when the wife isn't looking.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    The mini's cooking area is 9" in diameter, Dan. It cooks like a dream but it is very small, although I can carry it around by myself. (The small is unwieldy). During the depths of winter I keep it right outside my back door so that I can fire it up, under cover, at any time. It is great for filets, lobster, shrimp, burgers, hot dogs, little kebabs, and other small food. [p]We ended up burning one of our large BGE tables as firewood and now that large egg sits in a nest that I can wheel up near the back door in inclement weather. I find myself using the mini less but it will be going to Indianaplis for F1 racing again this year.[p]My 2¢ says buy a medium or large.

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Man I didn't realize the winter's were that harsh that yoiu had to burn your egg table to keep warm...lol.

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    Dan,
    I really don't use the mini very often but it is handy for picnics or for short camping trips with spousal unit. Whenever there is going to be more than two of us, I take the small along. At home, I might use it for brats or burgers but really prefer the ease of control the larger units offer.[p]BTW, I keep thinking there has to be a way to build a unit like your big rig using ceramic fire bricks like they use in pottery kilns and achieve some of the benefits of the egg. Too many projects going now so I havn't worked out the details
    Dave

• Charles in SC
    Options
    Bobby,
    I have attended a few parties where furniture got burned, the last one was a divorce party. They can be quite festive! I think it would be fun to have a party and tell everyone to bring a piece to burn,kind of a clensing(sp)
    ritual. BYOF