Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Hanger Success!

GirlyEggGirlyEgg Posts: 622
edited 5:19PM in EggHead Forum
Per previous posts... bought 2 pkgs at RD - so this was 4 hanger steaks, trimmed (see post from yesterday). Foodsaver marinated in soy sauce, lime juice, ginger and garlic - overnight in fridge... grilled direct at 400 about 5-6 minutes per side... internal temp was 135 when pulled off... rested for 30 minutes and VIOLA! Yummy! There was 9 of us and it was a perfect amount served alongside grilled veggies, artichokes and grilled, herbed corn on the cob!

• Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    Looks rather perfect Girly! :) Just butchered up a few hangars myself a few days ago. It's become one of our favorites, especially for parties (since most people have never even heard of them!). Easy to cook, and serve family style like you did. Nice! B)
  • Le Oeuf VertLe Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    Great picture! Meat looks perfect.
  • Bear 007Bear 007 Posts: 343
    Hey, that looks awesome. What the heck is a hanger steak.
  • GirlyEggGirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Thanks! It's my new favorite cut! Folks make fun of my Yoshi Blade yesterday (as seen on TV $9.99), but it trimmed the hangers perfectly :P ! No laughing here!
  • GirlyEggGirlyEgg Posts: 622
    from Fidel:

Basically, you want to remove all the exterior fat and silver skin, and then locate the thick tendon that runs down the middle and cut along both sides of it to remove. Then you'll have two pieces of meat, one about 30% larger than the other in most cases.
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Looks perfectly cooked Lynn!
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • FluffybFluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Beautiful, looks cooked perfectly. Love hangar steaks.
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    Thank You for this post. I have 1 left in the freezer
    (smuggled in from TX @ OKC fest) :whistle:
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,392
    Lynn, the hanger steak looks perfectly cooked and your sides sound scrumptious. :)
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    Bear007: A couple more interesting things about Hanger Steaks (aka Hanging Tender, Butchers Steak, Pillar)... Each cow only has one, located near the kidneys, and an attachment to the diaphragm. The muscle is divided by an amazingly thick tendon (Fidel pictured it in his narration) The texture of the meat is very similar to skirt steak (which is the actual diaphragm), in that the muscle fibers are loosely bound, but it is much thicker than the skirt. They have a super beefy flavor, and are best served rare to med-rare. They are difficult to find, but if you do, try it! (And don't feel weird when you ask your local meat man, and he looks at you like you have three heads! :laugh: )
  • Bear 007Bear 007 Posts: 343
    Thanks Little Chef!!
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    WOW!! That is perfect! Great Job :ohmy: :cheer: :P :cheer:
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    Hanger looks great Lynn. I have a couple in the freezer that were given to me by a good friend, guess it's time to break them out. I usually only marinate for a couple hours but might have to give the overnight a shot.
  • elzbthelzbth Posts: 2,075
    I think you hit a home run with these! They look delicious - sounds like you had a feast. :)
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    LOL forget it Tim... I have yet to find anyone up here that knows what they are :( we have to wait till we go to FL every winter and they are our treat LOL
  • dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Looks awesome.
  • wmrrockwmrrock Posts: 30
    I am smoking 2 4 lb hanger steaks.  The butcher says it should take 4 -5 hours and he tells me that it will much better than a brisket.  The temp has been a steady 250 and they should be done in another hour.  Here is the before picture.
  • lemonadelemonade Posts: 93
    I've never heard of hanger steak.  I clicked the link thinking about some sort of new suspension grilling system. 

I love this forum!
    Is it done yet? Is it done yet?