Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever smoke a bone in Lamb Leg to tenderness

Options
Primeggister1
Primeggister1 Posts: 379
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a very picky crowd this weekend and they do not enjoy lamb medium. I have many recipes that I have tried and enjoy all of them. I would like to take it to the next step. I am thinking of creating an injection as well as a wet rub.

If anyone has any recipes or results that they would like to share, that would be great.

I am thinking of a wild cherry and pecan blend of smoking woods also.

Marc

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    medium is way overcooked B) as it approaches medium the meat starts to get tougher and the sweet flavor of the lamb disapears.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    this one was pulled off the grill around 120 internal, tender and sweet

2004_1230Image0013.jpg

this one was low and slow to around 205/210. fall apart tender, strong taste of mutton, please dont do this to sweet tasting leg of lamb unless you truly like the flavor of an old goat :laugh:

2004_0105Image0013.jpg

these are marinated lamb kabobs, when making a tebouleh salad use some of the ingredients to make a marinade, add some balsamic and oil, use rosemary as skewers. these are always good

100_1213.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    agreed...medium rare.

I think you are saying though that they want cooked more? I think to Fishless' point you will be turning it into something tasting like mutton....
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the people that say they dont like lamb are the same ones that overcook it or wont eat it if its red ;) raw lamb is good too, a few places here still serve it that way, just ground with onions and some spices
    fukahwee maine

• LoisLane
    LoisLane Posts: 94
    Options
    Do you / your guests like Balsamic ? If so, let me know & I will find the BGE recipe we used at Easter. Nice and moist.

I also made a mint infused EVOO from a different recipe from the same source. Ended up not needing it at all for the lamb (it was so moist & flavorful from the first recipe), but I have loved using that flavore EVOO on MANY things since then (the mint is very subtle- not like a mint candy).
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    I would like to see that recipe.

I have come up with something as well. I have made an injection alond with a wet/paste rub you could say. The aroma of the roasted creamed garlic along with the rub and olive oil and butter is very aromatic. I hope it turns out well.

Marc
  • LoisLane
    LoisLane Posts: 94
    Options
    MMmmm, roasted creamed garlic sounds delicious. So how did it turn out & did the guests love it ?

I am still fairly new on here- so if posting links to recipes in this manner is against the rules for some reason- folks please let me know what is or isn't allowed.

1. For the lamb w/ balsamic that we cooked for Easter:
    The chef at the cooking school I volunteer at has a BGE and shared this packet of recipes w/ me to get us started. Hubby Tom found the link online still, so we printed the whole booklet for ourselves also.

This is from the The Big Green Egg Recipe Book of the BGE on-Line Forum from 03/11/07. TNW has a pdf still out there if you google it. This recipe is on pg 71 and it was DELICIOUS ! (We did not add any wood chips.)

LAMB
    Balsamic/Garlic/Rosemary Lamb
    Submitted by: Mike Poole
    Ingredients:
    Ÿ 1 Large leg of lamb. Butterflied and trimmed of excess fat
    Ÿ 2 Large sprigs of fresh rosemary
    Ÿ ½ Cup Olive Oil
    Ÿ 4 peeled and crushed garlic cloves
    Ÿ ¾ Cup Balsamic Vinegar
    Ÿ Freshly Ground Pepper
    Ÿ Mesquite wood chips - soaked 30 minutes before use
    Directions:
    The Marinade
    Ÿ Remove leaves and from the Rosemary and chop lightly.
    Ÿ In a large bowl combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, fresh rosemary, and several turns of a pepper mill.
    Ÿ Whisk together and pour into a large plastic ziploc bag.
    Ÿ Place the lamb in the bag and work the marinade in thoroughly.
    Ÿ Marinate for several hours at room temp or overnight in the refrigerator.
    The Cooking
    Ÿ Build a fire in the Big Green Egg allow it to stabilize around 350-400°.
    Ÿ Add the mesquite chips.
    Ÿ Grill lamb for 12 minutes, turn and grill another 12 minutes on the other side. Resist the urge to peek
    before turning.
    Ÿ Check temp with a fast reading thermometer in the thickest part of the leg (135-140 F is medium
    rare).
    Ÿ Let rest for about 10 minutes after cooking and carve across the grain.
    Ÿ Serve with a full-flavored red wine (we had this with a wonderful Gigondas), grilled potatoes and a
    big salad.

2. For the Mint Infused EVOO - here is the recipe...
    I have used it on corn on the cob in place of butter and to sautee spinach (on the stove- haven't attempt that out on the grill yet), etc. It was somewhat tasty drizzled over baked potato (instead of butter) but was not worthwhile rubbing the outside of the potato w/ this infused version rather than just regular EVOO.

http://www.hearthandgrill.com/blog/info/best-grilled-leg-of-lamb-recipe-grilling-on-big-green-egg-saturday-at-hearth-and-grill-shop-nashville-tn/

Let me know if you have questions.