Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

maiden voyage

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My much anticipated first cook on the franken egg, hot wings. Fresh wings rubbed with a little olive oil, salt & pepper, done direct on a raised grid at 300 degrees with a big hunk of cherry wood. After one hour, flip & let go another hour, then rolled around in a 50/50 mix of honey & Sriraccha chili sauce.

By the way, it wasn’t sitting well with me that I lost all the prep space when I reconfigured this table to fit the egg in, so I built a couple wings out of scrap wood; they slide into the sides on 2x4 ‘tracks’, & are easily removable for when I’m not using them & need more seating space in the hut.

First the build, then the wings:

075.jpg

The right ‘wing’ is 2 feet long (& doubles as a handle to more easily move the table around, leverage & all):

076.jpg

The left ‘wing’ is 1 foot long. The original table is 3 foot 4 inches long, & depending on what I need, I can extend it to 4 foot 4 inches, 5 foot 4 inches, or a full 6 foot 4 inches in total with both wings on:

077.jpg

It isn’t quite done, I still need to pick up some fascia material to cap it off, covering the 2x4’s, & it also needs another coat of stain to darken it up a bit more, but you get the idea:

078.jpg

Here’s the sliding track:

086.jpg

And the undercarriage:

083.jpg

085.jpg

Finally, dinner:

087.jpg

Smoking away:

088.jpg

An hour later after the flip:

091.jpg

All done:

097.jpg

098.jpg

What I really like about this set up is the versatility, I can move this table around easily to accommodate whatever I’m doing; here’s high performance mode:

103.jpg

the franken egg performed flawlessly with the Clay Q fire bucket. It elimited the typical hot spot in the rear, & spread the fire out evenly over the entire grid. It also held 300 for 2 straight hours without an adjustment.
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments