Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Draft Door Ouch!

Options
purcellj
purcellj Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I can't remember the number of times I pinched my finger on the draft door tabs, when closing up for the night.

Has anyone done a DIY to fix this problem?
** No offense to ThirdEye, but I'm not interested in replacing the door with a micro-adjuster.

Thanks
John

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I take a fire brick that has been cut into 3 pieces for raising a grate and use it like a little hammer.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    maybe I installed mine backwards, but I couldn't pinch my fingers closing if I wanted to! My screen tab is on the left and my door tab is on the right! Are yours together?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    don't know what you're doing, but I've had mine almost two years and have never had a problem.

Richard... a firebrick HAMMER??! :blink:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Mine is like yours, never a problem.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Do gloves qualify for a DYI?

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I sometimes use my Lawn Ranger Gridlifter Handle to bump it open or closed. When I forget I usually bleed.

Spring "Blood Thinners Make Me Drip-A-Lot" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    I use my grid lifter to tap on the ears to open or close the vent same with the miss daisy :whistle:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    seriously, u guys have to hit the tabs with a hammer to move the vent?! Stick a screwdriver in the upper and lower tracks and pry them open until the door slides more easily. Those flimsy tabs were not designed for brute force! Mine opens and closes rather smoothly - no tools required. Still snuffs out the fire when I close 'em too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I you close it one handed you shouldn't get pinched. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I'm thinking about making mine where I push a button and it will open and close.

I also have other ideas like how the company that makes kitty litter boxes where the box sifts the cat turds out I will modify it to sift the ashes. :laugh:

Hey I got more ideas stick around! :blink: :laugh:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I use my foot B)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    I use the closed head of the super-long tongs I keep hanging on whatever's nearby. It fits right behind the vent cover ears and I push it shut with that.

In order to install the spark screen, I had to do what Carolina Q suggested...pry the channels open with a slot screw driver. The older Eggs weren't meant to have two pieces of metal in those grooves, and it took hours of tinkering to even allow the two pieces, door and screen, to slide together. In 10 years I hadn't had a spark fall out of the open vent door, and I'm tempted to remove that stupid screen. But then the sliding channels will be be all loose!
    Judy in San Diego
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I did the same to my older egg. I got the screen and had to take a screwdriver and make the channel where it will accommodate the two pieces and slide back and fourth. I got it done but, it's still a tight fit. ;)
  • purcellj
    Options
    I guess mine is on the tight side for sliding.

If I'm not careful, when using my thumb and forefinger to close the door it will get pinched between the fixed tab and moving door tabs. Maybe if I grind down the tabs making more room between the tabs it will clear up the problem.

Or maybe I just need another glass of wine and then I won't feel the pain B)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    I still don't understand how you can be getting pinched! Here's my large in a closed position. Note the tabs on the screen door on the left and the solid door on the right.
    IMG_2229.jpg

and here it is partially opened and the tab positions are even more visible.
    IMG_2230.jpg

Either your doors or mine are in backwards, but when inserted my way I couldn't get pinched if I wanted to!
  • purcellj
    Options
    My bad, I meant the screen tabs and the fixed tab.

As RRP's pics show the screen tabs and fixed tab cause me to get pinched when closing. It does look like RRP's fixed tab is folded back much more so than mine. Mine is roughly sticking out 60 degrees, while RRP's looks like it's 20 degrees.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i push from one side of the dorr, rather than grabbing the thing between thumb and finger. i don't understand the issue :ermm:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I must say that in 10 years of Egging, I've never pinched a finger on the lower draft door. Not sure why you would be?
    The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    my egg sits on the ground. i kick it open and shut B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it