Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump charcoal

Options
alphabrace
alphabrace Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Where do you buy your lump?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

The dealers of course.

I get RO at Walmart. Cowboy at Home Depot.

Welcome to the forum. GG
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    grillstuff.com. I couldn't find Ozark Oak anywhere in Georgia and they ship free as long as you spend $99. It's like 8.65 a bag for 10lb bags but its nice to have it delivered to my door.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    telling us where you live would be rather helpful :whistle:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ky Kernel EggHead
    Options
    I buy my lump charcoal from my local BGE dealer.

But I have also seen it at my local GFS store.

Also might try Lowes or Homedepot.

Good Luck & Eggin

CroMag from Ky. :)
  • alphabrace
    alphabrace Posts: 23
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    telling us where you live would be rather helpful :whistle:
    Fort Wayne Indiana
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I use Royal Oak (USA made) at Walmart for $6.27 for a 10 pound bag and use this for my everyday cooking.

FOr low and slow cooks, I mix it with Wicked Good Weekend Warrior that I buy at my BGE dealer for about $24 for a 22 pound bag.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • RRP
    Options
    most all Wally World carry Royal Oak.

GFS has two locations in Ft Wayne and their private label is made by Royal Oak. Here's info about them:
    Found 2 locations near Fort Wayne, IN, USA.
    3.81 miFt Wayne/Illinois Rd
    5507 Illinois Rd
    Ft Wayne, IN 46804 Mon - Sat 8:00 - 8:00
    Sun 12:00 - 5:00260-436-6109

Directions: To here - From here
    More Info | Current Specials .3.87 miFt Wayne/Crosscreek Blvd
    5831 Crosscreek Blvd
    Ft Wayne, IN 46818 Mon - Sat 8:00 - 8:00
    Sun 12:00 - 5:00260-490-8518

Also many Kroger stores carry lump.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I live in South Bend, so I suppose you have much the same selections as I have. Lowe's, which usually has Cowboy, WallyWorld which sometimes has R.O., and Meijer's, which sometimes has Frontier. A couple of the larger supermarkets carry Cowboy also, but the price is high.

Fortunately, I've found two area butchers that carry a really good unnamed brand of lump. The only identification is that it is bagged in Texas, otherwise just a big brown bag marked LUMP CHARCOAL.

On occasion I've done mail order. For instance, Wicked Good. And am considering doing an order for Dragon's Breath. If I could find some of the nice stuff that comes out of Namibia, I'd send for it in a minute, but I've only seen it for sale in Canada.
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Options
    I use Wegman's store brand. I have heard that it is Royal Oak that is repackaged. I pay $5.99 per 10lbs.
  • EggerFromIowa
    Options
    I buy Seven Oaks Lump Charcoal at my local ACE, if they have it in stock, otherwise it's R.O. Steakhouse version from Menards. 5.98 for 8.8 # bag. I usually watch for the sales and get it cheaper.
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    Steak House RO at Menards or the red bag RO at wally world.
  • SheepDog
    SheepDog Posts: 176
    Options
    Cowboy at Ace... Royal burns way to fast!
  • RRP
    Options
    that's a new one to me! The most common complaint I have ever read here is Cowboy burns too fast - not Royal Oak.
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    I use wicked good from my local dealer. Occasionally I use Royal Oak from WalMart.
  • SheepDog
    Options
    I might be the exception, but my bag of Cowboy does say "NOW Longer Lasting." Not sure if it has always said that or not. My bag of Royal went up like dried kindling.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    I am in California and get 20# Royal Oak at Restauant Depot for $10
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    I get mine from a farmer's co-op.
  • RRP
    Options
    well, if you are basing your opinion on having just used 1 bag of each then maybe you might want to consider some other opinions. Take a look at this site where it clearly says that Burn Time for Cowboy only rated 2 as compared to USA Royal Oak at a 4. Of course you may have picked up some of the foreign stuff, but most people here find Royal Oak to be a winner.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprankdata.htm?compare
  • TNT54
    TNT54 Posts: 40
    Options
    I get the Royal Oak Steakhouse in the green bag at Menards for $4 per 8.8 lb bag when it's on sale. The normal price ($6) is still pretty good. The pieces aren't quite as big as the BGE brand, but it works fine.
  • fasteddiem
    fasteddiem Posts: 212
    Options
    Restaurant depot in Cincinnati had Royal Oak for $7.99 for a 17.6# bag...Nice deal...I bought 4 and probably will buy more next week before it goest off sale!
  • SheepDog
    Options
    RRP After reading TNW's review of lump is why I decided to go with Royal Oak in the first place, went WAY out of my way to find it as a matter fact. Maybe it was just a bad bag, but I won't be going that far out of my way to grab another bag to find out any time soon. Like I said, it cowboy may have made improvements based on what their label says.
  • SheepDog
    Options
    Here's a picture to give an idea how much lump I used during a 11 hour brisket last night.

get-attachment.aspx?uid=1.29327879&folder=NewMail&partId=4