Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at bacon-questions

Options
Buckeye Fan
Buckeye Fan Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello guys,

Cured my first batch of bacon for 8 days in 1 cup kosher salt, 1 cup brown sugar,1/2 cup maple syrup. Gave it 3- 2 hour baths in water. Let it set in the fridge 2 days to set before smoking. Used apple wood smoked till 150 degrees. Could hardly wait to fry it up this morning. Sliced it up and fried some it had great flavor not too salty but was very chewy too much for the wife. Question would be did I cure it too long? The belly was very thin at widest point at most 1-1/4 inch. It had the skin on which I cut off last night maybe I should try another belly skin off next time. Man I love cooking on my Egg! This is becoming my favorite hobby!

Buckeye

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i find that using the nitrite (pink salts) changes the texture of the meat. it's used not merely for preservation or color, but because it physically alters the meat. hard to explain, but i find it helps makes the difference between bacon merely bending, or breaking. almost seems crystalline in a way.

that said, slicing thinner always helps makes it tend more toward crispy. as does slicing it across the (very-hard-to-understand) grain.

for what it's worth, there seems to be a recent trend of 'first time bacon curers' who appear not to be following a recipe or plan. if you can, start from a trusted source (not web bloggers), and follow their recipe to a 'T'. you'll then have a benchmark from which you can play around.

i cure 1-1/2" thick bellies 6 days, no more (the cure rate per inch of thickness is somewhat uniform for all meats,: meaning, twice as thick seems to take twice as long). i also use the salt-box method, where a ratio of cure is made up, the slab is introduced into it and shaken, and whatever sticks is the right amount. this prevents over-curing, and it's never too salty.

i also don't soak out. soaking out salt may be necessary for salt-curing (like a country ham), but i have found that keeping the right ratio of cure to meat and keeping the cure time to a minimum has never resulted in too much salt.

skin on or skin off won't alter the bacon really, except that i will say i skin it before curing, f only to get more smoke on the bacon later, and because i don't want to bother handling it when very hot just to skin it. some recipes call for skinning after hot-smoking. i find it cumbersome. skinning before curing gives me better color and smoke on the finished product. if anything. leaving skin on would slow the cure (though it doesn't)

the recent bacon-making craze has spurred a lot of internet improv, bit improv without a grasp of the concept, which seems to lead to many guesses and questions. if you are enjoying the curing 'thing', pick up a really approachable book which gives uch of the logic and reasoning behind the process, not just recipes. "Charcuterie" by Ruhlman and Polcyn.

...i wish i hada dollar for every time i recommended that book :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    Hey Buckeye...you coming to Peoria this weekend?

I mis-sliced my first attempt at bacon. On the plus side, I realized ahead of time that I didn't know which way to slice, so I only cut one or two slices at first, and fried them up. They were tough. Sliced in the other direction, they were perfect.

Bacon should be sliced WITH the ribs, not across the ribs.