Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KUDOS on the Ga Mtn EGGFest

Options
LoisLane
LoisLane Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Kudos to the fabulous Organizers, Cooks, and Attendees of the 1st Annual Ga Mtn EGGFest ! My husband Tom and I (Lois) thoroughly enjoyed our day with you.

You don’t know me, as I have just now registered online… but I have spent time the past few months drooling over the yummy looking pictures of your labors of love on this forum. We are very new to this style of cooking, but are enjoying our efforts as we try each new food item and have searched the forum multiple times for cooking time/ temp tips. Thank you to all for so willingly helping others learn to appreciate this cooking method.

We have had fun looking through the Ga Mtn EGGFest pics posted online thus far. My hubby has been involved with setting up multiple large group events per year as part of his hobby and I know the amount of work it takes just to carry on with an existing set up / location / fan base … so it is even more incredible that this first event in a totally new venue and with a new crowd went so smoothly.

We are from the Atlanta area and enjoy a number of types of festival and group events throughout the year, and I have to say how impressed we were with the common courtesy expressed by the “Tasters”. Not once did we see anyone butt in line or elbow someone out of way. Quite a miracle when you consider all the free food being offered at every turn, and some of it in understandably limited quantity.

It is clear from seeing the pics posted – how many other great foods we missed at one end of the row while we were at the other end or at the class etc – so many nice items presented. Here are my personal favorites of what I tasted… not to slight anyone, but just to show the great variety of foods offered to us.

“Most Unique” (and Most Surprising that I liked it !) : Venison & Wild Boar Meatloaf
“Best Way to Start the Day” : Kahlua brownies (for breakfast at 9:30 am - heck yeah !!!)
“Best No Muss, No Fuss” : Whole wings – no fuss seasonings, at the PERFECT texture. Mmmm.
“Best Taste of Autumn in May” : Pancakes (I forget now if they were sweet potato or pumpkin flavor- but they were awesome) - as were all the recipes by those Gourmet GirlyEgg gals !
“Freshest flavor” : Green tomatoes w/ mozzarella & basil w/ white balsamic vinegar etc drizzle
“Most Unexpected (and FUN) Item on a Smoker” : Funnel cakes
“Most Likely to Try at Home the Soonest” : Wings from the demo class- Kim demonstrating PBMike’s rub / grill/ then glaze technique. I was the one asking about starter ingredients to build my own mild rub. Not trying to trick you out of disclosing your rub recipe Mike ;)

One “lesson learned” tip to pass along- that you may already be aware of… due to the popularity of the BGE 101 / Wings classes, several folks were making the request that next year a microphone be used. If that would not be possible, then maybe the same set of classes could be offered at two different times (with different sets of attendees at each, to space out the crowds) – but by different instructors so the same 2 people don’t lose their whole day to teaching classes & not get to cook and / or mingle.

Lastly, a big thank you to Kim for inviting me, at the entrance to the hotel, to join the crowd at the “after party”. Except for my questions to him at the class, I am a stranger to him- yet I felt the invite was warm & sincere. Alas, we did not make it there… as we had slipped on over to the Crane Creek Vineyards after the Fest to enjoy some wine with their vineyard views, and by the time the party time rolled around – we were still too stuffed to take another bite. We will definitely return to next year’s event and pace our tummies & hopefully we can get a raincheck on the After Party.

(Sorry I wrote a whole book ! :blush: )

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Thank you, Lois, for all your comments. You, obviously got a lot out of the fest. I think just about everyone had a grand time. Kim (aka, Professor Youngblood) and Mike Storno (Pork Butt Mike) did a fantastic job on the classes. The classes went way beyond what we had planned for, both in attendance and time. Two 30-45 minute classes took almost 3 hours! I have a meeting Thursday with my committee and we're going to critique all aspects of the fest. One of the things we're going to do is improve the conditions for the classes, i.e., more room, more seating and a wireless and hands-free sound system. We're also going to have general announcements over our main sound system giving people a head's up on all the "extra" activities. We're not perfect, but we're going to try hard to make this better next year.
    We're looking for next year to be bigger AND better. :lol:
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Lois, as a cook and avid Egghead My wife and I would like to thank you and your husband for attending the Fest. :) For it is all the wonderful tasters that help make it so much fun for us as well. We started Egging 6 years ago at the Ocala Egg Fest and it has changed our lives in so many ways and all for the better. We have made so many new friends and we all have a common likeness. It is so nice to hear from the people that attended, your post put a big smile on my face first thing this morning, I said to myself WOW it was a great event. :woohoo:
    Thanks again and see ya next year.
    Jupiter Jim and KayNOcook :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    LL:

Great post as I wasn't there but your post brought a whole new dimension to the fest!
    No need to apologize for a well worded long post!
    I enjoyed reading your thoughts in print.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    Hey Lois! Great post!

Thanks for the kind words about our pumpkin pancakes, et al! If you love to cook and learn new things and share your food, this is the place! I plan to get the recipes out in the next day or so, so watch your email!
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Hi Lynn,
    It was great to meet you last weekend and cook next door.
    If you don't mind please send me the recieps too.
    Did ya get the new egg out of the car?
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    WILL DO! She's still in the car! :S
  • mrsroasting
    mrsroasting Posts: 27
    Options
    Jupitar Jim you took a picture of my son trying your gator bites. He is dark headed, 11 yrs old has glasses, etc. If you have that I would love a copy via e-mail.

Great thread and can't say enough how much we enjoyed the fest. Look forward to cooking next year.