Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

alder smoked salmon

Options
bbqswen
bbqswen Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anybody know if you can use chunks of alder in the EGG instead of charcoal to grill salmon? It seems like you could, and might be fun as a change-up!Thanks!

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    bbqswen: Alder instead of lump? Not recommended. Add a couple chunks of Alder TO the lump, absolutely! Alder is a great choice with Salmon IMO.
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    I'd keep lump mixed in ... but we use alder for salmon all the time. Mrs Peppermonkey is from Seattle ... so to not use alder with salmon would be a big no no in our house! Here are a couple of pics from our salmon tacos we cooked at Waldorf.

2011-05-14at12-55-02.jpg

2011-05-14at13-15-19.jpg

2011-05-14at13-12-15.jpg
  • bellw
    bellw Posts: 26
    Options
    I just returned from a business trip in Seattle. Had Alder Wood Smoked Salmon (twice) at a fantastic restaurant (IVAR's Salmon House). Had King and Sockeye from the 1st day the Copper River Salmon Harvest started (only a 2 week season). This Salmon seems to be the very best (from what I learned at Pike's Market), and after eating I can validate this - Absolutely the best salmon I've ever eaten.