Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raising grid question

Options
CaptHowdy
CaptHowdy Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've done some research but all I'm finding is the bolt and washer method of doing this. That looks like a fine way of doing it but I assume there is an easier way if you only have one cooking grid. I see that some used bricks but I can't find detailed information. If you've done it with bricks can someone give me an idea of what size bricks I need etc??

I'm just looking for a temporary way until I get approval from the bank(wife) to buy the adjustable setup :laugh:

Comments

• WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Options
    For my Large, I used fire bricks from Ace Hardware. They were not in stock, had to order.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1366795
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Take a look at the Naked Whiz's writeup on firebricks (includes pictures)...
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/firebricks.htm

Home Depot shows them available online here
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    If you go with the bolt method, you can invert it for use at reg grid level, so as not to have to remove them every time. Far from ideal, but does work.
    The "woo" from Ceramic Grill Store is Eggcellent, albeit a little on the pricey side.
  • CaptHowdy
    Options
    ShedFarm wrote:
    Take a look at the Naked Whiz's writeup on firebricks (includes pictures)...
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/firebricks.htm

How in the world did I miss this? I guess having six kids makes my attention span shorter lol....

Thank you for the link....I'm sorry for the question, I really did search first.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Don't worry about asking questions! The search function leaves a lot to be desired. Sometimes, you have to wade through what may seem like a lot of irrelevant posts, to get the one reply or response, that contains the gem you're looking for. :)
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Just regular bricks would be fine, though kinda awkward. Don't see why you would need fire bricks. I believe standard bricks are fired at about 900-1100° and you are not likely to exceed that. For that matter, in a pinch, you could probably use chunks of wood though you might want to soak them first.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Regular bricks will work just fine. It's not as though the bricks will be sitting in the lump. 3 bricks balanced on the fire ring, then the grid, and you are good to go! We have the adjustable rig, but for simplicity, I still revert to the bricks. Have a pair of heavy duty tongs handy in case a brick falls in.
  • CaptHowdy
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It's a nice thing to be able to ask a question and get so many answers in so little time.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Bacchus has a good point about being ablde to invert the grid when you use the bolt method. I used three u-bolts in a tripod configuration and I like it a whle lot. I spread them out as much as I could and it works slick.

B)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Options
    I always use the split bricks for my raised grid. It is nice and cheap, especially at around $1.50 a split brick (around my part of town). The only disadvantage is they can be rocky when you are putting food on and off of the grid. My original grid is a little warped, so 3 dones not work very well. I have found that 2 is a great set up, but be careful and make sure they are relatively stable. I haven't lost anything yet, but have come close on a few occasions. ;)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Little Chef wrote:
    Regular bricks will work just fine.
    agreed, plus one.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante