Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nest Handler, worth it??

Options
wmd36
wmd36 Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I move my egg around on my deck sometimes. There are a few bumps etc that I must move the EGG over. Does the Nest Handler help prevent the egg from falling out of the nest? I usually pull the EGG instead of pushing the EGG. This seems safer??

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Absolutely it is worth it. IMHO it costs about 40% too much for the materials involved. I have one for my L and for my XL (not installed yet)
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Options
    Yes, it helps. I think they are worth it if you move it around your house a lot. I was going to buy one, but I take my large traveling a good bit and didn't like the idea of completely unbolting it every time. I wish they had some kind of quick release off of the pins...then I would buy one. For what you are describing, you should get one. :)
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Yes it is........it secures the egg to the nest and stabilizes thee whole unit.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    No idea how well they work, but for $40 (the bay), seems like it's worth a shot. Make sure it's the right one for your egg though...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FL XL Egger
    FL XL Egger Posts: 50
    Options
    Yes it is a worthwhile setup. I recently bought a medium to keep my XL company, and got it with the handler. My wife and I can easily load or unload it in our van. By placing it behind the drivers seat with a tie-down strap around the seat it travels very well.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Yes get the handler that goes with your nest.
    There is one for the old nest and one for the new style nest with the 4 inch caster wheels.

I sometimes roll mine in the yard to the garage and cook out there. You will like it. ;)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Worth every penny! The handler is secured to the Egg, and the nest, making it a very stable unit! You can wheel the Egg around on two wheels with no problem. Easy to pull up a ramp into a trailer for travel, etc. Worth the investment IMO! Have nests/handlers on 3 of our 4 eggs...had them on all 4 until a recent stainless table investment.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Got one for my large just before the Salado Fest and we moved my large all over the place for 3 days. Felt much safer with it. Going to trash the cart the small is in and go with the handler for it. Just like being able to move them easy.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I moved my egg fron a table to a nest with handler to take to a comp.BEST choice I ever made.I will NEVER have another egg in a table. ;) Even if I had another table built,it would accomodate the egg in the nest with handler.Just roll it out and go. :)
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    Yes - worth it.

And, to answer your last question .... pulling it is the better way to roll it around. Pushing it, if a wheel catches on something you have no way to catch the Egg before it falls. If a wheel catches on something when you are pulling it, it will literally fall right into your hands and you have a good chance to keep it from falling over.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    I think they are worth it if the egg is moved a lot. It only take one bad bump to crack the egg. I am getting ready to refinish the large's table and I am paying the guys at BBQ outfitters to lift the egg out and reset. The egg is worth it
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx