Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib roast vs choice rib roast

Options
BarManBean
BarManBean Posts: 129
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thoughts?

I don't mind spending the money on prime if it's worth it, but choice is about half the cost, you know?

Right now I can only find one place that even sells choice: Wegman's. I figure I'll go by tonight and take a look to see how the marbling is...that is if they have one cut so I can see...

Comments

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I've never done a rib roast with "prime" meat, but they have all turned out fantastic. I wouldn't waste the money.
  • benny
    benny Posts: 109
    Options
    Choice is fine, I do them three to four times a year. Choice from Sam's club.

Anymore I think the term "prime rib" is synonomous with what is really a standing rib roast in terms of the meat.

But I do think there is a definite difference in "choice" versus "select". I always use choice for steak or "rime rib"

phil
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Thers are many ways to fire up the Egg, maybe 8-10 plus, The bge fire starters ( egg-fs24 ) are ok as well as other naturel starters thet are paper w/a wax impregnated substance. The egg ones are about 1"x1" and can be broken in half, inserted upright at about 12.3,9 o-clock and lite. Let the dark smoke go away and the white smoke is gone to about clear or a hint of blue smoke. Your food will be ok to put on the grill. Catch your temp on the way up, and let the temp settle on the temp you want to cook at. :):):) milesofsmiles.
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    My Bad, this was to be posted under starting the egg W/ fire starters. Sorry, Ronnie.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Darlin', I think you replied to the wrong thread! :)
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Yep' my clicker fanger went astray. lol, but :):):) to ya. Ronnie.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have only used choice grade as well and so far I have been pleased. I have read that the term "Prime Rib" was derived from the fact that it is a Primal cut of beef. So, it is often somewhat of a misnomer. "prime rib" doesn't necessarily mean it is a USDA prime grade of beef.

I think you will be happy with a choice grade bone in rib roast :).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Smokey and benny are correct, "prime rib" refers to the cut, not the quality of the beef. Standing rib roasts purchased in supermarkets are virtually always choice grade. In my experience you have to go to a custom butcher to find any beef that is actually graded prime.
    It is confusing and is a question that shows up here on a regular basis. I Hope this helps a little :)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Costco has prime steaks. The one by me always has rib eyes and strips prime grade and usually top sirloin.
  • BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    Options
    Yeah, I'm near DC so there are quite a few butchers / meat markets to choose from. I talked to 4 butchers and Wegman's, and Wegman's was the only one that even carried anything other than actual "Prime" beef. The others only carry Prime, and the prices reflect it.

I'm going to take a look at the meat at Wegman's tonight...if it looks good I'll go back and pick it up later this week. If it doesn't look so good I'll call one of the butchers that I spoke to today who had all natural beef that was "prime"--price is twice as much tho', so i hope wegman's looks good :)

Thanks for all the input, sounds like it will be delicious either way!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    buy choice and age it. aged choice is better'n fresh prime, IMHO

d680379e.jpg

16_Rib_Side_15percent_weight-Loss.jpg

2010_12_25_Prime-Rib_02.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ew ew eeew! What's all that stuff all over it? Bletch

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Braumiester
    Braumiester Posts: 134
    Options
    Our Costco sells Choice whole rib sections(primal) for 5.89LB and Prime whole rib sections for 8.59LB.
    I bought a prime grade last Sat, cut 8 1¼ inch steaks, 4 off each end, left abt a 5lb roast and did it for the family Sunday. eveyone thought it was the best they had ever had. The marbling was wonderful, the meat was tender and moist.

Go here for beef grading info, you never knew so much was involved.
    http://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading.html
  • stike
    Options
    first you attack tocquina and now me. i can remember when the forum....
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Mine is looking pretty bad/good too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    Options
    oh. i thought you meant the rosemary and herbs and stuff.

yeah. i need to start another one.
    it works out good to have some at 28, 35, 45, 60 days or so. if you go to 75 let me know. my 100 was intensely flavored, but very dry. thick jerky, essentially
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I forget when I started it :S

Steve 

Caledon, ON