Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long is 2lb. Dizzy Dust fresh?

Options
SomedayMommy
SomedayMommy Posts: 199
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I go through about 2 bottles per summer of the Dizzy Dust. And this year, I plan to do pork butts (is Dizzy Dust good on butts?). Each being 8 oz. of course. I was wondering - how long does the 2 lb. bulk Dizzy Dust stay fresh if I don't use it all right away?? I'd be better off $$$ wise to just get a 2 lb. bag...

Comments

• Brew'nQue
    Brew'nQue Posts: 44
    Options
    Store it in an airtight container, in a cool, dry place and it should be 'good' for 2-3 years. Might lose some of its strength, but not much.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    First of all, Dizzy Dust, I use the coarse grind, is excellent on pork butts. I buy the 2 pound bags and keep them in my freezer. They stay fresh for a loooong time. I have a partial bag of Pineapple head that's been in it for a year and it's still fresh! :)
  • Grillin Guy
    Grillin Guy Posts: 302
    Options
    I asked Chris of Dizzy Pig the same thing. Here's his reply.

Re:Ping Nature Boy
    Date: 2011/03/31 08:17 By: Nature Boy
    Thanks for having the faith to sprinkle our stuff on your meat!

Light, air, heat and moisture are all enemies of fresh spices. We start out fresher than most, so that helps, but your rub will taste a little mellower and flavors will shift as time goes on. Simply keeping tightly closed and in a cool dark place and you'll still get some decent flavor even after 2 years. If, down the road, you want to experience the true zip DP is known for, freezing is not a bad idea, especially if it will be more than 6 months, and vacuum sealing first is even better.

Thanks again, and happy cookin!
    Chris
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I was just going to post "why not ask Chirs"... So thanks for your asking Chris and letting the rest of us learn of the response.

GG