Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suckling Pig

Options
Bigbopperspeakin
Bigbopperspeakin Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd like to do a whole pig in my Large GE. Anyone know how big a pig it will take and advice on how to cook it?? Thanks!!

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Just do multiple butts rather than a whole pig. It's not about being cool or impressing anyone.
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    There are several photos floating around on the forum of whole pigs in eggs. People usually butterfly the pig, then remove the spine fold the pig in half and tie the legs together behind the head. Sounds crazy but it seems to work. Hopefully someone will link to the pic.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Welcome to the forum.

Try HERE and HERE .

Keep us posted, we would love to see another suckling pig cooked on an egg! :cheer:

Blair

• Feeding Frenzy
    Options
    Here's one

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=422988&catid=1

Another
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=628532&catid=1

And the big kahooona
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=991487&catid=1

The search function works well here. I searched suckling pig. Why do you want to do a whole pig? Skin/cracklins? Or just so you said you did? Theres alot of waste in these, since you are roasting bones and all. Still a cool cook I guess, but you wont be feeding many on a 20 pound suckling. Probably about 60% is in the trash in the end with the bones and all.
  • Feeding Frenzy
    Options
    guess I'm a bit slower on the search engine...lol. Was apparently typing as you posted. Nice to see another Florida egger. I need to get around here more often.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Keith

There's a good supply of Florida egger's here tho I sometimes think I am the only one in these parts. Tampa area and the Space Coast are well represented here. The suckling pig comes up a couple times a year at least and you get used to finding it . . . sort of. Glad to see you around, it's by posting and participating that we make this forum what it is . . . the greatest. :lol:

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Keith

I would guess that all the skin, bones, connective tissue and other goodies that we normally do not cook with our butchered pork would give it a flavor that probably can't be produced any other way. The size/age of the critter must have a contribution one way or an other I would guess, it being smaller/younger then what we normally cook. I have never had suckling pig but would love to try it sometime (I'll let someone else cook it, thank you. LOL). Maybe Beli will chime in later and gives us some details from one who knows. He is a great cook! :)

Blair

• Feeding Frenzy
    Options
    I'm pretty far south. Homestead. May as well be in the Keys the way the construction is going. I have noticed a lot of Tampa folks. And perhaps a few in Melbourne. This far down though I feel pretty much like you do. Kind of off the beat and track. But now I am getting the hang of this forum it helps! I've gotten alot of ideas the past couple months!
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Homestead??? Thats like North Cuba isn't it??? :laugh:

Your right, you might just as well be in the Keys. There used to be some of the old and very impressive orchid growers in Homestead but I don't know what was left after Andrew. The photos of what Andrew did to Homestead were enough to give anybody post traumatic stress. If it had crossed the state 3º to the north it would have come through here full force. I got out of Dodge and headed north till I got to Ocala before I slowed down. That was a bad time! Lets pray it doesn't happen again in our life times.

Blair

• Bigbopperspeakin
    Options
    Ask and ye shall receive!! Thanks to all...apparently, I'm not going to be able to get a very big pig in there, so I'll probably take the advice to do butts...
  • Gator Bait
    Options

That or you have the classic excuse to get the XL BGE you always wanted! :laugh:

Blair

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Some folks did one in Atlanta a few years ago. They cut out part of the backbone and posed it in the egg in a compromising position B) . I didn't save the pics but they should show up on this thread. I believe it was north of fifty pounds.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON