Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Bread Temp

SnickersSnickers Posts: 50
edited 12:48PM in EggHead Forum
I'm baking bread, using plate setter and putting dough on a stone.

What should dome temp be ?
·

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,303
    whats worked for me is getting the stone high in the dome and dropping the temps from the directions a little to compensate for the radiant heat off the dome. directions say 550, i go 500. im not a big bread baker but that seems to work for me
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Whatever the recipe indicates is a good starting point.

Some breads cook at 300-325, some at 525-550. Depends on the ingredients, hydration level, loaf shape, etc.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    he said "loaf shape" :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • icemncmthicemncmth Posts: 1,157
    What does the recipe say?

If it doesn't go with 400 deg and the loaf is done when the internal temp is 190deg.
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    190&deg is a good mark for white bread (I prefer a little higher)....205&deg is generally better for whole grains.
    ·
  • icemncmthicemncmth Posts: 1,157
    A lot depends on altitude and which one of my starters I am using. My rye starter needs 205 deg but my super sd starter loves closer to 198 deg. I have to watch that starter when making a loaf because it will sometime rise to quickly and have an impact on the oven spring. I also have a barley loaf and it does better at a higher internal temp.
    ·