Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my 13,000th post...Happy, but sad today

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hopefully, this won't be a long boring post, but things happened today!

This is my 13,000th post here after buying my first BGE some 11 years ago. Though Pat and I are just a family of 2 people plus our beloved 4 legged sons we sport 4 BGEs. All this has been happy so far - right?

Well, the bummer part came this noon when I saw my neighbor's trash can across the street next to a weathered and twisted 4 legged table. I recognized it easily as a BGE table.

Background...years ago there was a newspaper article about me and another local egger at the time named gfw.
IMG_0994.jpg

Well, the neighbor bought a large egg and that table on a whim right after when his wife was out of town for a week. I did NOT even know it until some 4 years later! They fought about that purchase and to my knowledge he only used it twice. I offered several times to teach him, help him, etc, but scars were deep I suppose.

I waved today at the guy and pointed to the trashed table at the curb - "don't ask, Ron" - now I wonder where the BGE is buried...
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    That is a sad story, hopefully the egg has gone to a better place.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • RRP
    Options
    I agree - funny thing is they are a very nice couple of retirees who have been married for years, but she says he is such an impulse buyer! That is probably the issue.
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Congrat's on 13K RRP!
    That is serious dedication to the forum. I noticed you posted for the first time May 21, 2005 so if you hit the 13K mark on the 21st of this month, you would have averaged 5.9 posts every single day of the past 6 years! WoW!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Congrats on 13K, and sympathies for your neighbor. Impulse buy or not, seems like a small things to fuss about. I guess I'm insulated - my husband and I just never argue about anything (make no mistake, we don't always see eye to eye - we just work around the differences). Life is just too short.... ;)
  • RRP
    Options
    no, that May 2005 date was when the BGE board was switched over to the new format and a whole bunch of data was lost. Some of the more tecky people may have figured out how to override that, but I never did!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Congrats on the 13 K.Sad,sad story. :(
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Congrats on 13K :)

Nice spread in the newspaper, you rockstar! B)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Jerzee
    Jerzee Posts: 84
    Options
    Congrats on 13K and a belated thanks on the lock nut idea. ;)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Congrats on the milestone.
    Fwiw, re your neighbor, don't let how other people feel about something affect how you feel about it. Your enjoyment isn't diminished if someone else doesnt enjoy the same things you do.

If you need some resolution, I'd say try letting itmslide with a little 'forgive him for he knows not what he does" kinda deal

In my case, I can't be bothered worrying if my neighbor is in agreement with me grill-wise. It's nice to be different, frankly. Just nod and smile, and maybe ask if he wants to sell it

You never know, she might be a harpy, and/or he might be lacking in the cajones department.

Invite him over for a steak and listen to his sob story over a beer. But his sob story shouldn't become yours too. Wave and smile at him as you drive away in the vette
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts ;)
    When do they send you the new Large? :laugh:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    Options
    Jeff, I knew you would pop up with that consolation advice as you have before, so thanks. At least this impulse buy was under a thousand. Three years ago he bought a brand new Air Stream trailer for $38K, pulled it clear out to WA for a summer vacation, bought a house out there as a second home, dragged the AS back to Illinois and sold it for a $2K loss!
  • RRP
    Options
    rockstar - no - rockhead maybe :laugh:
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Congrats on the milestone my friend. B) All of us who have convinced others to purchase an egg feel somewhat responsible and obligated to try and assure the new owner's success and satisfaction with the Egg. I was nervous as all get-out when I finally convinced my sister to buy one. It was kinda like "Whoohoo!!!, Oh sh*t." Luckily she came around, but I'd have felt like a real heel if she hadn't. There's bound to be one or two failures for every hundred happy egg owners. It's too bad your guy was the one.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Ron great to read your posts & congratulations
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Ron - congrats!
    I almost ruined my wife's sister's family because I convinced the husband to buy an egg. Long story but I think it all ended well - I have not heard of any divorce papers being drafted.

Stike - I literally got into a heated argument with my friends about not so much the egg, but about their buying of frozen burgers and cooking them with kingsford. It baffles me too because they have eaten my food and food off the egg so they know how much better it is.

Some folks know the truth but do not care enough to change - they just want what is familiar and easy.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    thing is, you can't be sure they aren't just being nice to you and blowing sunshine under your skirt saying they love your food. :laugh:

could very well be that as you walk away they say "there he goes. just smile and tell him his stuff is the best and he'll go away. i'm sick of hearing about his egg" hahaha

you never know. one's man's'truth' is just a waste of time for someone else.

hence my advice to smile and nod. if someone is truly interested, they will come to you.

they turn you away at the temple three times if you ask to convert to judaism. and the monks make it very hard to become one of them.

every person ends up exactly where they ought to be.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i would have walked over and dragged the table home :laugh: happy day, happy day :) whats more socially acceptable, picking thru a neighbors trash and letting them see it in your yard later, or knocking on their door and asking for it. big score last week on some floats im going to use on my dock, i think the kid saw me :whistle: :woohoo:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Congratulations on the post, My Friend!
  • RRP
    Options
    LOL - thing was the table was horribly racked and the front legs were broken or sawed off. It looked like a 800 pound gorilla had worked it over pretty good or it had been hit by a car. It really was close to just being firewood.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Congrats on the milestone Ron, I always look forward to your posts, keep them coming! :)
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    Congrats on your milestone! Don't worry about the neighbor, most impulse buyers are rarely satisfied for very long anyway, and I'll bet they never did much cooking on the BGE otherwise they would probably still have it.Good luck,Randy
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    It looked like a 800 pound gorilla had worked it over pretty good...

That's no way to talk about a mans wife. I mean.. she can't weigh a pound over 700. ;)

Congrats on your 13k posts.

T