Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Round #1......18.29 lb Brisket!

Options
kjthiltgen
kjthiltgen Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yes that's right I bought an 18.29 pounder tonight and got it rubbed up with a combo of Gates BBQ Rub and Macormics Steak Rub! I plan on putting it on my Large BGE tomorrow evening around 8pm. Im going to go with 225 overnight with Apple and Hickory, then possibly upping the temp to 250 Saturday for the finish. Will this monster be done?? We plan on eating around 6pm Saturday evening!

Comments

• Jer_inva
    Jer_inva Posts: 109
    Options
    If it were me, I'd probably start my cooking NLT 6:00pm to allow a full 24 hrs time. If it finishes early you can always FTC it for a few hrs. Also if you plan to remove the point to chop it up for burnt ends, that will take a couple extra hrs to finish. Better to have the finished product waiting to be cut up than to have company waiting for it to finish. Jer
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Last year I cooked an 18 pound brisket and it took about 27 hours. It barely fit on my large BGE - I had to use a rib rack and drape it over it. I generally cook brisket at 225 at the grid, not the dome.

Good luck with it.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    if you are mentioning dome temp i'd say 250 dome...225 dome is more like 200 grid and that will be a big mass of cold meat
  • kjthiltgen
    Options
    crghc98 wrote:
    if you are mentioning dome temp i'd say 250 dome...225 dome is more like 200 grid and that will be a big mass of cold meat

Ok...please explain this to me in simple terms because I have seen this and heard it a few times. Why is the grid and the dome temp so much different...Thermodynamics yes but what about thermo exuilibrium isn't 250 250 everywhere. Please explain this to me so I have a better understanding. Is it as simple as the meat being cooler than everything else...Thanks in advance!
  • GeorgiaBorn
    GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
    Options
    I've always done my briskets at 225 dome. Mine have always taken about 45 minutes to an hour per pound. Never a cold mass of meat ;)
  • GeorgiaBorn
    GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
    Options
    I've always done my briskets at 225 dome. Mine have always taken about 45 minutes to an hour per pound. Never a cold mass of meat ;)
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    I always cook with my pit probe at the grid and I usually do the low-n-slo cooks at 225°F .... at the grid.

As to why, I can't explain. I do know that at the start of a cook there will be a difference between the grid temp and the dome temp - usually around 25° or 30°. As the cook progresses, over the course of 10 to 12 hours, that difference becomes less and less. At the end of a 14 hour cook, I've seen the difference get to be less then about 5° or 10°.

The cause is probably a combination of a number of factor; the meat, heat rises, and who knows what else.
  • kjthiltgen
    kjthiltgen Posts: 38
    Options
    Well after 22 hours in the LBGE here are the results....and let me add they were FANTASTIC. My neighbors were all very impressed, not only with the great tasting brisket, but with the fact that the egg cooked for 22 hours without haveing to add charcoal or to mess with it to keep the temperature controlled! Truly a great Product!!!

Before
    [IMGhttp://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac158/mel623/Big Green Egg/Brisket.jpg[/IMG]
    After 22 hours in the LBGE!!
    [IMGhttp://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac158/mel623/Big Green Egg/Brisket2.jpg[/IMG]
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    here you go

Brisket.jpg

Brisket2.jpg

B)
    looks great

you were missing a ] twice ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb