Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thanks...and advice (baking during a low cook)

Options
LamajSmokes
LamajSmokes Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First - let me thank all of you that have posted over the years. I'm a relatively new egg owner (thanks to the Ms for an exceptional 30th birthday present in October) and have learned a lot from searching through the various posts over the past 6 months.

Now that I've got the gushing out of the way, I have a question about baking something while doing a cook/smoke on the top.

For Easter brunch, I'm planning on doing egret's maple-bourbon ham, but don't think I should limit myself there.

So...since I have a medium egg, and have figured out to rig an extender (thanks DynaGreaseball) I don't see any reason I can't throw some biscuits or cinnamon rolls under during the last bit of the cook (I got denied the opportunity for the egg strata/quiche).

Finally, to my question - what experience do people have baking at ~250 degrees, versus the ~350-450 degrees that most recipes call for? Do I need to double (or some other factor) the baking time? Will yeast products rise at that low of a temperature? What experiences have you all had?

Any thoughts are most appreciated.

ps - obviously, the ham is the most important piece and I’ll have that running on a thermometer, but if I can add to the festivities, I figure I might as well

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    LamajSmokes,

I sapose you could do the biscuits under the ham but I'm gonna recommend you bake the ham, pull it out when it's done then bake the biscuits after you have bumped the dome temp up to 400 degrees. The ham is now resting as you bake... when the biscuits are done the ham will be ready to carve. ;)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    If you don't bake at the proper temp you have a couple major pitfalls looming

1. You most likely won't get the proper/desired rise and oven spring and your baked goods will be flat, dense, and hard
    2. The outside will be dry and hard before the inside gets done

And you don't want to bake with other stuff cooking. Baked goods pick up other flavors very well, so you want a very clean burning egg for doing your baking. Some people even have a dedicated egg just for baking because of this.
  • LamajSmokes
    Options
    thanks for the thoughts, i haven't done any baking - except for pizza - so, good to get some other perspectives.