Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to put a Large BGE on a Boat

Options
PCFisher66
PCFisher66 Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of the Capt's. here had this made for his boat. I thought it was very artistic and sleek looking.

Tod

[img size=150]Http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/attachments/f21/20800d1303059881-b-d-welders-awesome-job-p1010051-jpg[/img]

Here's a link to the post.http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f21/b-d-welders-awesome-job-86685/

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Looks neat. Is it on gimbles? How does it handle 20+ degree rolls or pitches?
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Wow, having looked at the other pictures in the post I have to say that the stand is just sexy. It has me wanting to a set of them to put out by the pool in my back yard. Clean and sexy!

BD
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Wow, that is sharp! Excellent design work and craftsmanship! Outstanding in all respects, function and beauty. I assume marine grade stainless? The designer and welder had their work cut out for them but the results speak for themselves. I bet they had fun with this project.
    Thanks for sharing. :cheer:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    thats some nice looking work. a reason to get a bigger boat :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    That's awesome. I'd watch something to catch hot embers though. Must have the screen. I need one.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

My thoughts exactly Richard, I don't see any gimbals and they would have been icing on the cake. I'm guessing a pretty big and hefty charter with a pretty smooth ride. Still an awesome stand.

Blair

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    wouldnt work on my boat, ive been near 90 degree tilt :woohoo: after the gunnel just misses your head and you think your in the clear, watch out for the rear roof 2x4 support, its coming at you :laugh: WHAPPPPP!! :ermm:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    looks fabulous, for sure

But, is seems also that somebody isn´t very close to the poverty level ;)
    This set up and boat wasn´t sure a bargain...
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    Wow! I bet they could fabricate for any type condition.Nice photo, Randy
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    Beautifully made but I really don't think I'd want that on my boat. Thinking of the charcoal dust and spitting embers. That WHITE area would be nicely blackened in no time. Heck, I don't even want to see people wearing black soled shoes on my boat. Also curious of the heat transfer through the SS tubes though SS is crappy at tranfering heat. Otherwise it sure looks like a nice snug fit. Hopefully a few nasty waves won't hit it while the lid is open.... All in all beautiful work, just kind of dumb.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I'm thinking they are cooking while anchored...no gimble required.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    I have to think if someone went to all this trouble and expense that they have thought it through. To call it "dumb" seems uncalled for.

For the artistic look alone I would consider putting all of my eggs in a setup like this if I can add my folding shelves. I think it's damn sexy.
  • Egghead Willie
    Options
    They did a great job. Someone called it sexy. I agree.
  • BigBadger
    Options
    There is no question as to the sexiness of this mount. It's probably the one of the nicest BGE holders I have ever seen.

As an analogy I once mentioned to a friend how gorgeous a specific Lamborghini was. His opinion was that it was a Dumb car. He had his reasons for stating that opinion. We are still friends and respect each others opinions.

I have been a boater for a long time and I too have my reasons, some of which I mentioned. I'm also a volunteer marine safety inspector so I feel my reasons are somewhat valid considering that I can only see the 2 photos from the link. It's also been pointed out many times in the past that this forum is more a place we can discuss openly the things that interest us as Big Green Egg owners. I'm sorry if I offended you. I had hoped that maybe some lively and reasonable conversation might be opened rather than just the typical back-patting that is so common.
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Hey Rod, no offense taken sir! You obviously have the credibility to back what you stated and I almost never challenge another persons opinion (and I didn't intend to here) as I also believe in the right to have one. I guess in the wee early hours I equated that to someone showing a picture of their newborn and someone replying with, "that's cute, but I've seen better."

Didn't mean to get your guard up and I apologize for that.

Bruce
  • BigBadger
    Options
    Point taken. Sometimes my posts can be more blunt than I intend. Have a great Easter Weekend! ;)

Upon closer look at the pix several of us think the metal and welds looks more to be aluminum than SS. We wouldn't mind knowing more about this and seeing more pictures. I actually thought this mount was so interesting that I forwarded the link to several friends, boaters and otherwise.

Did anyone else notice that the mounts aren't completely fastened? 2 screws are half out and a few others look loose when I blew the pix up larger, yet the full weight appears to be installed.
  • draiggoch
    draiggoch Posts: 11
    Options
    Coming from an old sailing family I'm not terribly comfortable about having a fire container on deck, regardless of the weather .. looks neat, but ..
  • draiggoch
    draiggoch Posts: 11
    Options
    Coming from an old sailing family I'm not terribly comfortable about having a fire container on deck, regardless of the weather .. looks neat, but ..