Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Makin Bacon Day 2 & Pork Shoulder

Options
toquina
toquina Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is what happening with the bacon
ff11c2fd.jpg
And here are the shoulder that are on the Egg currently
5a6ea866.jpg
For the full recipes please check out my blog
http://athomecooking.wordpress.com

Comments

• Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Kinda tasty looking Bacon.......try using the "Macro" setting on your IPhone ......or get a real camera. Especially if you are serious about the blog. Just an FYI if you care.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • toquina
    Options
    Thanks looking into a new camera. I hope you contiue to follow my blog and recipes here on the eggheadforum.

Thanks
  • wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Options
    I did bacon last weekend and it looked nothing like yours. What are you using for the cure and how are you curing them?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Are you sure this recipe calls for draining the liquid? Normally that works like a brine and is key to the process....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • toquina
    Options
    I am using salt and brown sugar. It is a week process, putting the sugar and salt mixture on the bellies and then wrapping in plastic wrap, evry 24 hours draining any liqiud that may occur. What did your bacon look like any curing first???
  • toquina
    Options
    You want to get rid of the liquid it helps to dry out the belly and add flavour at the same time. This is my first attempt at it it seems to be looking adn smelling the way it should. I will keep everyone posted, or you can follow on my blog as I will report daily there
    athomecooking.wordpress.com
  • thirdeye
    Options
    I'm sure you're following a proven technique.... and there are bound to be variations that work..... but actually, most folks allow the liquid to remain in contact with the meat to facilitate the curing process. In Curing circles it's called "overhauling" when you rotate the bag (or the product) in order to redistribute the cure, which is now a liquid brine.

Just curious, (and no disrespect intended), but what is your source for this method?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Come on toquina with the "follow on my blog" deal. There are MANY Great Blogs on this forum (NibbleMeThis) etc. and no one promotes them so strong. Post your link in your signature and let the forum members decide if they want to check it out. ......It is getting old Quick! And you are a Newbie poster. I am soon going to not even open anything with your forum name on it and so will others.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Options
    I followed the himountain instructions with some added help from 2fategghead and thirdeye.
    Here are the bellies soaking in the fridge 3 days after the rub

102_4952.jpg
    Here is the finished bacon
    102_4966.jpg
    It turned out a very lean and tasty bacon. Did not turn out salty at all.
    I also tried to click on your blog and it says broken link :ermm:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Shoulder looks great.
    I can tell you though that days 3,4, 5, 6, and 7 are gonna be about the same for the bacon.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    Um. Not sure you have that quite right.
    If you've done a simple cure of salt, pink salts and flavorants, and dredged it to cure, you don't want to drain off anything. Certainly not on day 2, anyway

The salt will draw out the moisture, the lack of moisture in the meat will then draw the liquid (now a brine) back in, and the meat will cure over the next four or five days
  • stike
    Options
    Salt cured only? And draining all liquid?
    If that were fish it'd be salt cod :unsure: :ermm:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Be gentle. :evil:
  • Kew_el_steve
    Options
    This has the opportunity for not ending well...on several different levels. :woohoo:
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Options
    Have to agree with 3rd eye. I leave the liquid in and just flip the bacon over every day. Commercial butcher told me that 6 days is too long for brining. First time I did 6, second 3. Second tasted better and not as salty. Just FYI.
  • toquina
    Options
    Thanks for your tips. I have purchased some extra bellies and will be trying different recipes. Trial and error.

http://athomecooking.wordpress.com
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    Curious Hoss, or anyone, and I am NOT trying to start anything if it means something "bad", but what does "nm" mean?
    I googled it and got zero answers.
    I've seen it in several posts here, but maybe not other forums.
    Thanks!
  • thirdeye
    Options
    nm means "no message". With this kind of forum display, sometimes someone accidentally posts a question or a comment in the wrong thread position. Or makes a duplicate post. So when they move their message, nm lets folks know there is nothing there so they won't open it.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Chief Chef
    Chief Chef Posts: 199
    Options
    I have been following the 7 day brine method, flipping each day as I go. Here is a little slab bootstrapping on a rib cook - ready for breakfast in the morning.
    DSC_0578.jpg