Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Storage Question

Options
Harley Butts
Harley Butts Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We just got BGE yesterday and I have lots of questions. Here's my first - we'll need to store it in the garage after each use. At the risk of sounding like a real putz, how long after shutting it down do I have to let it cool before storing it in the garage for the night?

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Options
    You don't have to worry about that. I cook out of my garage and rarely ever take it out. I usually only take it out if I am searing or cooking pizza's. When you are done just close down the vents and put on the green cap. :)
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    I will caution you. Be careful when you move the egg back and forth, especially if you have a lip dividing your garage from your driveway. An egg handler is a great thing, but I don't like one since I travel with my large and don't want to undo the bolts everytime. I just make sure that I grab it from the nest and usually rest the handle or hinge on my shoulder as I move it with the nest. If you pull it from the handle then you are asking for some trouble. Even a pebble can cause it to stop and flip over as you are pulling it. A number of people have posted their broken eggs. :pinch:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Harley Butts, Welcome to the forum. :)

Is Harley your name or do you have other interests?

If your egg is in a nest I suggest you carefully pull not push your egg to where you want to place it. We have read many horror stories of folks pushing their egg and hitting a bump and the egg tips over and you don't want to know the rest of the story. :( When your finished cooking simply close the bottom damper and replace the daisy wheel with the rain cap. Tim
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Please listen to Brads words and a pebble will bust an Egg.
    The new dealer in Salado sold one of the demo eggs (Salado Egghead Gathering) to a relative and this person pushed it, it hit a pebble and toppled over: BUSTED…..
    No warranty on pebbles
    please never push your egg…..
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Brad why would it be any harder to travel with the "handler"? I moved my large from the house to the Inn and to the park with the handler on it and did not find a problem. I am asking this to be sure I just did not miss a problem that comes up? I got the new 4" wheeled nest & handle just for that reason. Just asking you thoughts.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Harley Butts
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. I'll heed your advice and won't push the egg!

2Fategghead: We are also Harley riders (nice profile pic!).
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    Hey Mickey, In looking at it, it is bolted to the egg and nest. Since I can't fit both as is in my SUV then I would have to unbolt it. It might not be a big deal, but it is a lot easier for me to lift it out of its current nest and go directly into my SUV. Does that make sense?
  • Mickey
    Options
    Yes, now I understand why you said that. I was using both trailer and pick-up so no problem with stand. Just trying to be sure I had not spent a bunch of money and missed something.
    Also saw they got your mini 10" grill in.

• Austin Egger
    Options
    I wish it had some kind of quick release pin system on the handler. It might not make it as strong, but I would buy one then. Yes, it looks like the black grid is 10" for the mini and the SS is 9.5". That is interesting! That really makes me think someone possibly screwed up the mock up on the SS one. Who knows?
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Shut it down and roll it in for the night. No issues.
  • shortfire
    shortfire Posts: 13
    Options
    Harley, if i were in you spot moving my egg everytine I cooked I'd build a table with some big pneumatic tires on it you can just roll over those pebbles, the garage lip won't be as much of a problem and you can store all your junk (and you continue to grow that pile trust me) in one place that goes with the egg. Naked whiz's table is a good starting point I'd put 2x4 for the top rail if your gonna lift on it a lot just to be safe.

@Austin I'd be careful running the pit in your garage most cities have fire codes about a BBQ pit within a certain # of ft of a structure. If youre in a house its probaly no big deal but appts, condos and our code says something like "structures that pose an iminate fire danger to surrounding sturctures" which is pretty much a catch all if you set your neighbor's house a blaze they can fine you, bu I dunno your local codes.
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    I'm in a house and good to go in regards to any codes. :) That's why I would never want to live in a condo, townhome, or apartment around here.
  • Harley Butts
    Options
    We did buy the wood table with the SS top. Thinking of putting more sturdy wheels on it. Also, I'm moving it from blacktop driveway, over the lip to the garage and into a specific area. Will be careful getting it over the lip.
  • beerguy
    beerguy Posts: 116
    Options
    Great to see there are other Harley owners on the forum. I love riding my Dyna Wide Glide!