Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grinder recommendatio - Northern Tool or Cabela

Options
Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 975
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering stepping up my Meat grinding from my Kitchen-Aid grinder to a dedicated grinder. The two that I have been looking at are the Northern Tool Kitchener #12 Electric Meat Grinder — 1/2 HP

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200451267

or the Cabela's Pro Grinder

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-Cabin/Food-Processing/Food-Grinders|/pc/104798880/c/104723280/sc/104364180/Cabelas-Pro-Grinder/714623.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2F_%2FN-1101293%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMM&WTz_l=SBC%3BMM%3Bcat104364180

Both seem pretty good and given that the Northern Tool is $70 cheaper I am leaning toward that one. Both the Cabela and the Northern Tool come with 3 plates but nowhere on either website is any additional plates. Does anyone know if any #8 plate will fit the Cabela or if any #12 plate will fit the Northern tool.

Thanks
Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    I have the Northern Tool grinder, and its an absolute beast. I've used it for two years and ground up tons of deer with it. It has never given me one bit of trouble. If I remember right, I got free shipping too. I can't speak for the Cabela's model, as I haven't used it, but mine has never let me down, and I can't think of one reason to spend more money on a different brand. Buy the Northern Tool grinder and spend your savings on some Eggcessories.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I have that exact Cabella model. I really like the fine disc and the reverse with the motor. Works great and no problems with mine.

I would think either would be a good choice.

Cabella doesn't make their own grinders, most of their products are private labeled, so if you can locate the actual manufacturer I would think you could get the same thing at a little lesser price. I thought Northern Tool made the Cabella grinder, maybe there is another NT model that would be the same.

As I recall Harbor Freight started offering a meat grinder...

I just looked up the link. It sure looks like one of the grinders offered at Cabella's and that is a heck of a price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=meat+grinder

No matter which you choose you will love it over the KA.

GG
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I have the Northern Tool one and recommend it HIGHLY.I LOVE IT!
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Thanks for all the help and input. I guess I'll go with the Northern Tool.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.