Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

poll: sausage gravy & biscuits

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know I've lead a sheltered life in some ways, but I need to know the proper way to eat sausage gravy and biscuits. Yesterday I was with a group of 10 people (2 men 8 women) at a Bob Evans restaurant and for the first time in my life I ordered some. What came were two delicious biscuits on a plate also containing a bowl of gravy. I just proceeded to break off chunks of biscuit, place in the bowl and eat them with a soup spoon that also came on the plate. I sensed from the looks of some people that I screwed up, but being a polite group nobody laughed or said anything. So what is the proper way? Should I have poured the gravy over the biscuits and if that's the way it should be, then why wasn't it served that way?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    open your biscuits up and pour some of the gravy over them. .. . you will probably have extra gravy in the bowl . . .you can then use that to dip hunks of sausage or bacon, or pour it over your hashed browns or whatever else you are eating .. . pour some in your coffee if you wish. . . its almost like a condiment!! . . . :blink: :woohoo:
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Yes you should have poured the gravy over the biscuits...but IMO the problem was with the way they served them. They should have put the gravy over the biscuits with the extra gravy on the side...but you live in the North so what do they know...glad you liked them...

:cheer: :woohoo: :lol: :silly: :);)B)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here in the South it is usually served over the biscuits unless you ask for it on the side.

Biscuits, Gravy, How to Make

Biscuits and gravy is made with a white gravy and with burger, chipped beef or sausage. The gravy is served over biscuits for either breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Make the biscuits from your favorite recipe or with our just-add-water biscuit mix and use the recipe below for the meat and gravy combination.

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 sweet onion, diced
    1 lb ground beef
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground pepper
    2 Tbs all-purpose flour
    2 cups milk

PROCEDURE:
    1 Sauté the onion and ground beef together in a skillet. Add the salt and pepper. Remove the cooked ground beef and onion and set it aside. Pour all but two to three tablespoons of the fat from the pan.
    2 Add the flour to the fat and stir to dissolve. Cook for another minute.
    3 Gradually stir in the milk, a little at a time while stirring with a whisk. Continue cooking until the gravy has thickened and is bubbly.
    4 Add the meat and onions and serve over biscuits fresh from the oven.

Recipe Type
    Biscuits, Breakfast, Brunch

Recipe Source
    Source: Prepared Pantry, 2010/03/22
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ron,

Well Bob Evans is a higher class place than most. Usually the biscuits are covered.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Either way, now I am hungry again.... ;)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Ha Ha Neil would just roll in the gravy if he could! one of his fav. have to admit it is pretty good. but dumping the bowl of gravy over the biscuits is correct. super super simple cook for at home. do it on the hot egg after dinner and then reheat in the am. flavor is even better. I do the biscuits then too and toast with a little butter on a cast iron skillet in the am. Neil is putty in my hand when I do that for him LOL
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Well, I guess Texas isn't in the south. :S They serve the gravy in a bowl and the biscuits on a plate. I copied this from a local cafes' menu.

Southern Breakfast 2 eggs with sausage, bacon or ham & 3 hot biscuits with a
    large gravy plus a choice of grits, home fries or tomatoes 6.89
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Onions, nice touch, that mike be a nice twist.

Ground beef, ummmm. Sausage and gravy. :)

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Mainegg wrote:
    Ha Ha Neil would just roll in the gravy....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That's funny!!

GG
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    what kind of sick mind serves the gravy on the side!( never heard of it or considered it)..... you need to go to a local VFW for that dish if you want proper grub!....rr
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Now we have to be PC over this fine dish. :ohmy:

I guess wait to see what the others do first.

Most of the time over biscuits out here. No problem with using a fork or spoon and breaking up the biscuit then into the gravy.

Heck just eat it, it's good stuff.

Really nice when done on the egg. The mini is a perfect size for a CI skillet when doing this cook.

GG
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    They probably served it the way they did because it sat under a heat lamp for a few minutes and they didn't want the biscuits to get soggy or the gravy to congeal.

Consider it good service.

The proper way is to break the biscuit in half like you are going to make a sandwich out of them. Put the soft side up, then smother in gravy, add a little black pepper, then eat with a fork.
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks all - I have never seen it served before therefore never seen it consumed and I was the only one yesterday to order it so I didn't have anyone to follow. Oh well - at least I didn't embarrass myself too much - it wasn't like I used my fingers and no silverware! :whistle:

BTW I will order it again - that was tasty stuff and beat the boring eggs like others had yesterday! Never think of myself as being a maverick! :laugh:
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Pour it over them. They were giving you the opportunity to butter those biscuits before putting the gravy on. Sounds good right now!

Mike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    was upcountry in nh last year and someone asked for grits :blink: sure enough they had some hidden for such a special event. everyone, i mean everyone got up to see how they were eaten, even the cook came out to witness the event :laugh: :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Options
    It's biscuits & gravy, not gravy & biscuits.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I mix the eggs, biscuits and gravy together.
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks, Mike but there was no butter served - probably just as well as I wouldn't know what to do with it either and might have palmed it and spread it on my head to make my hair stay in place! :woohoo:
  • Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    Options
    Ron,

If you ever make it down to Delavan IL on a Saturday morning get the biscuits and gravey at the Harvest Cafe. Hands down the best I ever had. They make thier own sausage. They also put the Biscuit right in the middle of the plate so there is no confusion on how to eat it. :woohoo:
  • RRP
    Options
    well excuse me Rod - This is what Bob Evans menu reads:

Bob Evans® Sausage Gravy & Biscuits
    A cup of our famous sausage gravy served with two buttermilk biscuits
  • Fidel
    Options
    yea but "©2010 Bob Evans Restaurants of Michigan, LLC"
    tells me everything I need to know about the legitimacy of their menu as it pertains to southern dishes.

And here's the funny little face-thingy so you know I'm just having a little fun.

:cheer:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Great post, Ron - thanks for the smile. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    But I think we already ruled out Bob Evans as a reliable reference, since they serve their gravy on the side. ;)

Personally, I'll take the biscuits with butter. Honey or jam totally optional, but acceptable. You can keep the gravy, thanks.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Dude, you have to start cutting the yankees here some slack. They just haven't enjoyed life like we have. No sweet tea, cheese grits, black eye peas and ham, collards or hand slung chitlins!
  • RRP
    Options
    Delevan, huh? Living in Brimfield and eating at Delevan then you sure do get around! Thanks - actually I will try that sometime!
  • RRP
    Options
    oh boy - bet I could embarrass myself pretty good ordering some of those! :laugh:
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    You do need to go to Bob Evans and see if they have hand slung chitlins. Better yet, ask for the mountain oysters!
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I think you did the right thing. ;) I've ate them in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia and all that and I do the same as you. Most of those were at Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel. I don't like it poured on my biscuits. I do however like to pour it on my chicken fried steak. That there is some good eats.

Just keep on keeping on. We can eat in a dignified manner. :whistle:

Makes me hungry for some sausage gravy. Can pretty much lap that stuff up like a dog.
  • MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    Options
    In the south the correct way to eat this would be to pour the gravy (very liberally) over the biscuits. If you have some left over try dipping bacon, sausage, country ham, etc. in the leftover gravy. This and a bowl of good grits made with real lard/or bacon grease and topped with real butter will make a true breakfast of champions. Bob Evans is a midwestern chain thus the reverse order of gravy & biscuits instead of biscuits & gravy.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    MemphisQue wrote:
    ...good grits...

Now THERE'S an oxymoron if ever I heard one! :laugh:

LOVE biscuits & gravy though!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut