Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Was not all that happy with these

Options
Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Grilled hot and they were tough. Put them in a dutch oven for an hour and they got tender enough but not a lot of meat on them.

DSC_0147.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Sure is pretty plated ;)
  • MusicMan78
    MusicMan78 Posts: 182
    Options
    looks good to me!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    But they look real good. Longer time in the DO?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Shoulda cooked them lower bud.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    MusicMan78,

They weren't disgusting just should have cooked them low and slow.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Steve: They sure look good from here!! And I love the idea of the broccoli with Edamame! Looks awesome! Sorry if I steered you wrong. :pinch: I expected after that much time in the marinade, they'd pretty much be essentially 'cooked' already.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Bummer Steve. Thinking might have been to long in the marinade. Better fumble next time. :laugh: ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,591
    Options
    Steve, are those short ribs? when we are not in a rush, we use thermos pot for tenderising like i did with the lamb shanks on the weekend.

have you ever looked into a thermos pot? it's very popular in australia and far east. great for congee, stew, soup, stock. not that great for thickening and carmelising though. after 7-8 hours, the liquid in the pot is still safe at mid 160's, i just reboil and put it back for another 7-8 hours, no fuel, no boil over.

Gary
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Michelle,

No not at all and the stir fry was good. I just tried to put some colour on the ribs. I thought they were much more tender after the marinade, The vegetables were in garlic, ginger, lemon juice, black bean, teryai, thai chili and chicken stock with green onions and cilantro on top.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Gary,

Maybe a pressure cook first. There really wasn't enough meat on these. A&P

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Molly,

We all mess up sometimes :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I hear that! :lol:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Molly,

The ribs just weren't meaty enough. Should have got the ones from the Asian market.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    so there is meat on there somewhere?? looks pretty enough LOL adds all new meaning to bone sucking sauce? But it does look really good Steven.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    when i cut them i get them from the smaller fatty end of the loin thats usually ground up, there is actually a darker meat in it and theres lots of fat, i cut the ribs with alot of meat on them. i dont get many this way

bd6d793f.jpg

the country loin looks like this, its a really cheap cut compared to the regular loin

b6139abf.jpg

when you cook the the whole country loin it looks like this, see the extra meat on the rib section, thats all meat for the chinese ribs

da830c65.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    what about in an enameled D.O. and let it go lid-on for a couple hours then lid off for a bit. kinda osso bucco-ish?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    They did look tasty as hell on that plate. Made my stomach churn. In a good way. ;)