Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger here

Options
holleywood dawg
holleywood dawg Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys and gals. Just got my very first BGE large for a wedding gift from my parents. Tell me what I need to know. Been snooping around here for the past week or so so I have learned a good bit. I do have to get the plate setter though. Should I use a cover since I am keeping it outside? What's your favorite recipe? I am cooking a pork tenderloin or the spatchcook on Sunday night! Thanks ya'll :)

Comments

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Hello Dawg, welcome!!
    Spatchcock chicken is a good first cook, be sure and calibrate your thermo. also learn to give the egg plenty of time to stabilize at your desired temp before you put the food on.
    As for favorite recipe, pick a food, enter it into search and you will have virtually unlimited choices, this is an amazing place with some amazing cooks!!
    I've had my larges outside for 4 years, no cover, no problem
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Congratulations on the wedding but especially the egg. Nice parents indeed.

I would forgo the plate setter add some money and pick up an Adjustable Rig and Spider, great accessories.

The best tip I received from the folks on the forum was to cook the food to temperature and use time as a guide. I haven't had a poor cook since that day.

Check the calibration on your dome thermometer and when you get some money pick up a thermapen (don't skimp on this one and don't get a 'look-a-like'.

Oooooh too many favorites for me. Chicken is always good for some of the first cooks.

Covers 5 years, no covers.
    eggnsnow.jpg

Pork tenderloin, I love making Char Sui
    charsui1.jpg

charsui2.jpg

charsui4.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Post your cooks, and put up some pictures.

GG
  • holleywood dawg
    Options
    Great thanks guys. What's the best way to calibrate? Pot of boiling water? How often should this be done? What to do if the temperature is off and I do have to adjust? Thanks
  • Wooly Swampman
    Options
    I just posted a recipe that people really seem to like when they try it. Look down a couple of threads at the pork tenderloin recipe. I like to sear mine first then slow the grill down to about 375-400 and finish it up, but everyone has their own opinion. I hope you enjoy your egg as much as I and everyone else that has ever had one has! Good luck.
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Yes boiling water, there should be a nut on the back of the thermo to adjust,I do mine once or twice a year, when I think about it, after the first time, it has not been off more than a few degrees.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    holleywood dawg, Congrats on your nuptials and your egg. Be aware when purchasing a BGE from a dealer you get a life time warranty so you will need the receipt. It also come with a warranty card to fill put and send in. You have come to the right place and your cooking habits will change. :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Rolling boil, 7/16" wrench a little turn goes a long way.

I rotate my thermometer so target temperature is 12 o'clock. If the retainer clip is on the rotating will change the calibration. I ended up removing all the clips and the thermometers free rotate now and I am like Kendell, only check calibration a couple of times a year. Small adjustments are usually needed.

GG
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Have you come across this link?

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=843650&catid=1

Because I am new, I have checked my calibration every couple of weeks. Love the remote 732. I use the place setter and raised grids. My first pizza fried my gasket, replaced with nomex and all is good.

Don't chase your temperatures, accept a 25* swing either way, patience!

Respect the elders on the forum and ask questions!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • holleywood dawg
    Options
    Thanks for the help and advice everyone!
  • tjl5709
    tjl5709 Posts: 76
    Options
    Skip the plate setter, and get an adjustable rig with spider. Does the same thing, but can do so much more.
  • War Green Egg
    Options
    Welcome to the Cult. I have had my egg for about four years with no cover with no problems. It gets direct sunlight all day on my deck, I'm hoping it will sprout another one. If you're doing pork tenderloin here is a glaze/dipping sauce I like.

1 1/2 cup apricot preserves
    1/2 cup bbq sauce
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp hot sauce
    1 Tbl chopped cilantro
    1 lime juiced

Prior to grilling, melt apricot preserves in saucepan over medium heat. Remove pan from heat and stir in remaining glaze ingredients. Place half of glaze in a serving bowl and hold for dipping.

When you have about 4 minutes left to cook, brush the pork with the glaze remaining in the pan. Cook for two minutes, turn pork and glaze other side.
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    Options
    Grandpas Grub got it right. Go with the rig and clay stone. I have both and I never use the setter. Good luck.
  • holleywood dawg
    Options
    Ok. Think I have decided to do the Wooly Swampman Pork Tenderloin recipe. Wooly do you cool the marinade first I assume? Thinking of marinating a full 24 hours. Looking forward to it.
    Need a little more explanation on the adjustable rig and spider. What exactly are these?
    Anyone around these boards from Augusta?
    Holleywood dawg