Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Yet another butt up chicken

Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,914
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This one with a healthy coating of Primeggister's Cluck and Squeal all purpose rub

DSC_0094-2.jpg

DSC_0096-1.jpg

It was excellent!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·

Comments

• Butt up chicken, well done Steve

Ross
    ·
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Steve been wanting to ask you for the temps & set up on this cook. Could you?
    ·
  • DeplesisDeplesis Posts: 215
    Steve,
    Any liquid in the ramekin to steam up thru the chicken?
    RJ
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,914
    Beli,

I have been doing them semi indirect, with the drip pan only at about 325* up to about 400*. I put the plate setter in for this one and didn't get the temperature difference between the thigh and the breast that I usually get. It was still extremely juicy but I won't do indirect again. Time depends on the size of the bird.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    What internal temps?
    ·
    170 or so in the thigh. The breast should be at 150 or so. It doesn't really matter because it is so juicy you can go higher.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • elzbthelzbth Posts: 2,075
    These have to be the best chickens ever!!! When I hear people talking about how much they love those store-bought rotisserie chickens I just smile and thank goodness for my egg.... ;)
    ·
    RJ,

No the remekin is there to catch juices. The fat and juice runs down, and the fat overflows into the drip pan so you end up with a bunch of wonderfullness in the ramekin.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Elizabeth,

Have you tried the inverted ones?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    TKS buddy
    ·
    No...not sure what you are talking about?? :unsure:
    ·
    I have been doing chickens on a stand with the legs in the air. The upper part of the egg is hotter so the legs and thighs cook faster.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,238
    I was wondering why butt up, thanks for the explanation. Family coming tonight and I was going to spatchcock the chicken, now seriously considering butt up.
    What size egg did you use for this cook? I need the real estate so the large will get the work out.
    Tonight's menu:
    Guacamole dip
    Pinto Beans
    Chicken
    Squash medley
    and if I have time, Not Your 4AM Sliders (pork tenderloin medallions wrapped in bacon on a Hawaiian roll)
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
    Joan,

It was on a large. You could cook other items in the drip pan like AZRP does with "the chicken"

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • BordelloBordello Posts: 5,926
    :woohoo:
    Legs in the air??? :woohoo: :silly: :lol: :whistle:
    ya got my attention now, More,More,More. :P

I can't help it, I'm
    Bordello :evil: :woohoo:
    ·
    Bob,

Was thinking of Dinah Mo Hum when I wrote that. Didn't think it was a good idea to elaborate B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • FluffybFluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Looks great Steven, love the color. Think I'm going to give that a try tomorrow.
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Lookin good Steve.
    I do verticle chickens often, not a big fan of spatchcoked.
    ·
  • BordelloBordello Posts: 5,926
    :laugh:
    That was probably smart thinking Steve. :whistle:

Have a Great Weekend,
    Bordello
    ·
    Thanks Ron,

Haven't done a whole burd any other way since I tried this the first time. You should give it a go.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Teresa,

I reccommend it highly. With smaller birds you sometimes need to cut a bit of the backbone away to get it started on the stand. Once you ge a start just bang the whole thing on the coutter to get the bird to sit properly.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Ding-dong... :blush: :blush: :blush:
    You and Bordello are sly devils.... :blush:
    I will try this next time - makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation!
    ·
  • DeplesisDeplesis Posts: 215
    Steve,
    Been doing chicken sitting upright for several years.
    Don't know why "Butt Up" didn't occur to me....it makes since with the thighs and legs in the hotter part of the egg. Thanks
    RJ
    ·
  • nuynainuynai Posts: 101
    Been doing the beer can chickens with the legs down. Anybody prefer one or the other. Nice pics. Thanks in advance.
    ·
    Bordello is the sly devil. I am an innocent dupe :(

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    nuynai,

I can't offer a comparison because I have never done one legs down on the egg. I preferred spatchcock and straight roast. Had the idea a while ago and tried it. Haven't done one any other way since

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318
    I've done a couple like this since I read your first post about it some time ago... It works. I just use a small disposable pie pan for a drip pan/heat shield. Use kitchen shears to cut an inch or two off the spine so it will fit on the 'sitter. Put everything on the top of the adjustable rig to get it is high as possible. Gotta watch out for the thermometer probe.
    ·