Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Help

Options
dieseldave
dieseldave Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After doing alot of reading here, I decided to try a whole 11 lb brisket on my large BGE. After getting the dome temp stabilized around 245 I put the brisket on around 9PM last night. The temp was still stable around 12:30 so I decided to go to bed. Around 6AM the probe in the brisket was showing 145, but the dome temp had fallen to 200 during the night. I brought the dome temp back up to 245. Now around 9:30 AM the temp probe is showing 185. :ohmy: Was this to big a jump in temp in such a short amount of time? From what I have read, could have taken as long as 22 hrs for this to cook, but instead it was done in about 12 hrs.

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Briskets cook much faster than butts and typically finish in 1-1.5lbs/hr. I am not surprised it is close to being done. You still have some time left (to get near 195-200) and will probably be done in 14 total hours.
  • BKHayes430
    Options
    I completely feel ya on this one! People say 1 hour/lb at 225. It's hard to generalize that as such. There are so many different thicknesses with brisket. I did a 6.5 lb brisket at the lb/hour rate and it was done in 6 hours and could have been pulled well before the 6 hours was up.

Fork check it. If it falls apart with the turn of a fork, you're done!
  • BKHayes430
    Options
    I really like your rate better. The 1.5lb/hour seemed to be more realistic for my brisket last weekend.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Just did an 11 lb-er last night - 230F and about 13 hrs to 200F, the last 25degrees were foiled with a bit of liquid. I've had them take longer than that too, not so predictable.

Going to eat it soon... making Mac and cheese and cole slaw....
  • dieseldave
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's replies.

Well it looks like I was worried for nothing. B) Once the temp hit 190, I pulled it off, wrapped it in foil and placed in an ice chest until we were ready to eat. It turned out a little dry, but still tender.

Jerry, nice website. Is the stoker worth the money?
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    Ddave I start checking for tenderness/doneness at 180-185 deg internal. Briskets can be finished before 190.