Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Staining a BGE Table

Options
smokeystover
smokeystover Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Planning to buy my first BGE next month, so I'm starting to get things ready by acquiring a table for it.

This is a cypress table for a Large BGE, and will live outdoors on a covered patio. I'm planning to stain it, then seal it with spar urethane.

My question is whether it would be better to use a water based stain or an oil based stain.

Any suggestions from people who understand wood better than I do

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Just don't mix a water base stain with an oil base finish. Or Vise-versa. ;)

Cypress will be perfectly fine.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Oil.
    Cypress looks great with just a urethane finish, so unless you are after a dark color, you need not stain it at all B)
    4835836280_6617045f70.jpg
    P4060004 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr
    4835835298_ff2644b2b8.jpg
    P4060003 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr
    This table is cypress with three coats of MinWax "Helmsman" brand marine grade urethane in a satin finish, available at most Hardwares and Big Box stores for about $15qt
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    If your post suddenly disappears, the moderators may move it to the Egg Table Forum :)
  • smokeystover
    Options
    Thanks, Capt. Frank.
    Your table looks really great, but I would like mine a bit darker.

Typical newbie, I forgot there was a separate forum for tables! :blink:
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Smokey, you are quite welcome. :)
    Whereabouts in SW Ohio? My wife [we were just married last summer] has a home in North Bend, just off rte #50, the cart in the pics is there. :cheer:
    That's why I am [sometimes Cincinnati] in my signature line.
  • smokeystover
    Options
    North Bend is a nice area. I'm about 25 miles east, in Clermont County.
  • Indiana Egghead
    Options
    If you want to stain it, I recommend an oil based stain. I built my table out of premium treated lumber because no lumber yard in my area has cypress wood. I used Behr Premium Deck, Fence & Siding Weatherproofing Stain in semi-transparent finish ($35/gal. @ Home Depot). The color was Light Sage #DP-527. I picked this color because it's the same color as our pergola on our patio. I topcoated the top surface and the lower shelf surface with exterior polyurethane (min.of 2 coats.) The table shines like a mirror and water beads up like a just-waxed car. I do keep my BGE & table covered with the Big Green Egg premium cover, though, for even added protection. The stain is expensive but it's a great product and you get what you pay for! However, if I could have found cypress wood I probably would have used a clear coat just so the beauty of the cypress would show through.
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Sweet! Where did you get the wheels? Never seen those, nice touch.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997