Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holy Flaming Cheese, Batman!

Options
Mike Oelrich
Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
provoleta.jpg
<p />Howdy,[p] Saw something mentioned in the latest issue of Chile Pepper magazine last month and had to try it. One of the articles mentioned something about grilled provolone being fairly ubiquitous in Argentina so I did a bit of research. Ended up getting a nice block of hard provolone, rubbing it with olive oil and sprinkling with fresh oregano. The directions I found said to preheat the grill on high. Guess they aren't familiar with what "high" means on the BGE (or maybe what "high" means when I've gotten into a bit too much of the homemade limoncello :*) ). Anyway, the first attempt nearly ended tragically (700F caused the outside to melt immediately while the inside was still hard) -- see picture. Second attempt was much better as I realized that about 400F on the small BGE was just about right (bottom all the way open and daisy on top). Kept flipping the cheese every 1.5 minutes or so until the outside was a bit crusty and the inside was a bit gooey. Ate it one seom French bread bits. Yum![p]MikeO

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    MikeO,
    Hey that looks good Mike. I just saw a guy do this on tv, except he used Mozzerella cheese. His flared up to because he dipped the flat side in pepper oil first. I'm going to give it a try.
    Dylan

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    MikeO,
    Oh, so you make limocello too? That stuff is so good. I keep a little in my freezer.[p]Nice hunk of cheese. some people will grill anything![p]Mary

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Mary,[p] Yes, limoncello is wonderful, especially on hot summer evenings. However, I had some at a friend's party once that tasted awful. I asked them how they made it and they said lemonade concentrate and Everclear! Ack![p]MikeO[p]BTW, there are some things I won't grill but I'm having trouble thinking of them right now ;-).
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Mary,
    I haven't tried making limoncello yet (though I do have a recipe somewhere), but my Italian friend had a funny remembrance of her grandmother, who kept the aging limoncello in the attic. Grandma would go upstairs to test it every so often and one time she didn't reappear for several hours. My friend went to check on her and found her sound asleep in the attic. Seems the tasting had gotten a little out of hand!
    Cheers,
    Gretl