Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help needed with plate setter

Options
TassieLady
TassieLady Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, new here so please be nice!
We live 'down under' in Aussie Land, and need to get hold of a plate setter for a large BGE. No problem you might think, wrong :angry:
Currently there are no BGE suppliers in the whole of Australia! Have been in contact with 'the mothership', and been told they will not post items abroad. There is a supplier in New Zealand, and awaiting a reply from them.
But, and realise that this is a big ask, is there anyone out there in BGE land that would be willing to place an order on our behalf and 'forward' the package? All would be at our own risk and payment would be in advance, may even be able to order direct from GA and pay for item, as they are sympathetic with our circumstances, but would have to give an American address, and of course forwarding postage would still have to be paid.
We so want to be able to egg, but if we cannot get hold of a plate setter, well just want to cry :(

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    TassieLady, Welcome to the forum. ;)

Until you get a plate setter consider cooking indirectly without a plate setter.

There are several ways to go about this. You can put something on the food grid that will block the direct heat then you can cook on that or above that by using 2 food grids. Bricks come to mind or other things. Tim :)
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    Welcome to the forum! You will find it most helpful. You have mail.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Instead of a platesetter you might consider a setup from Tom at www.ceramicgrillstore.com. He has a couple of options that will work just as well. He is a super guy and I feel sure he will do everything possible to help you. Check out his website, e-mail, or better yet, call him, he usually answers the phone himself. :):)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    And by the way, Welcome to the forum! :) :cheer:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Depending on where you are, maybe there is a ceramics/pottery supply shop and they may carry plate setters for pottery kilns. If you get a round one then you just need a few fire bricks to raise up the grate.

http://www.axner.com/refractories-and-firing.aspx
  • Little Steven
    Options
    TassieLady

Welcome to the forum! I would be more than happy to do that but I am in Canada and our prices are much higher. If no one else offers I will be happy to help. You will get better utilisation wit a rig from the ceramic grill store.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    I don't think you need fear getting jumped on around here. It seems anyone who commits a non-social act gets soundly beaten down. :)

If you can't find a solution, either locally or through the various offers I've read in this thread, you might consider something I just saw today:

http://www.ceramicgrillforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=200
  • TassieLady
    Options
    Thank you all for your time, and intelligent suggestions. I will contact Tom at the ceramic grill store, if he is prepared to mail stuff to Aus, then our problems will be over. Battling with our time differences, its 8 pm as I write, its somewhere between 1 and 4 am for all of you.

Have spoken to one pottery supply place, not that good, they only had 'rectangular' ceramic shelves, that would not fit an egg, but trying to contact another. Realise that we could be inventive with bricks, but since it is going to cost us a fair bit to buy the egg, $1000 (and thats at a massive discount - egg prices in Aus were huge :woohoo: ), we considered it rather silly not to find out where we could buy essential 'accessories'.

Will update you with results, special thanks to all for your welcomes and Ashman for emailing me, so kind. Janet
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Wish you well Janet. :) Let us know what happens. Come back and post your cooks with pictures ect...Tim