Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Another Pizza Report

BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am liking the new set-up I started testing last weekend.

I went from 2" to 3" extensions between the plate setter and the pizza stone to get the pie higher in the dome.

Here is a picture of the copper pipe fittings I am using. I started with one fitting that was 2" long then went for a combination that made them 3" long. This would be easier to do of you just bought a section of pipe and cut it to length with one of the rolling, pipe cutters, but I did not have one.

13-02-11Spacers.jpg

Last week I mentioned that I had problems getting above 550, but after cleaning the grill I had no problem getting to 680 today.

There is no doubt that there is some restriction on air flow, but I am trying to keep it under 700, so this is not a problem.

Earlier today, I cooked some Italian Sausage with fennel to top one of the pies. Here it is getting happy on the small Egg.

13-02-11ItalianSausage.jpg

The first pie was one of the ones with fig jam, prosciutto, and Gorgonzola cheese. It went on at 650 dome and the pizza stone was at 744. I did not get a temperature on the top of the plate setter, but the last time I looked, during the warm-up, it was running 104 degreed higher than the pizza stone. I was using parchment.

13-02-11Pizza1.jpg

This dough was made with 50/50 Caputo Antimo 00 (this is the classic Caputo flour) and Caputo Rinforzato 00 (a higher gluten flour) at 70% hydration. The dough was a little too wet to handle easily, so I am going to cut back to 65% next time.

Here is a shot of the bottom of that pie.

13-02-11Pizza2.jpg

The second pie was topped with the Italian Sausage, sauteed mushrooms and a three cheese blend (fresh mozzarella, aged provolone, and extra sharp white cheddar).

13-02-11Pizza3.jpg

Comments