Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

why I love that BGE screen door!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was heating up my large tonight for a killer pizza and since it's cold here in Illinois I was letting it get all the ceramic pieces up to temp. After a while I went out to check and found this large marble sized BURNING ember stopped against the screen. Tell me that puppy couldn't have caused havoc on my wooden deck!
IMG_2059.jpg
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Cooking on a wooden deck? EGADS!!!! At least put a safety mat down.
  • RRP
    Options
    I know, I know, I know - but so far in 11 years no problem thanks to the screen door - AND this metal tray I made and use religiously with the screen!
    IMG_2060.jpg
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I know one time when I lit the lump and was waiting for the egg to start drawing air is spit out a piece of burning lump that big out the bottom vent. I didn't have the screen closed yet and that sucker shot about 5 feet. I'm on concrete but there is an indoor/outdoor carpet on it. Good thing I was right there. I still got a spot that melted on the carpet. :blush::angry: I never leave it unattended when the bottom screen is open.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    My egg doesn't have the screen - they didn't come with it back when I got my large. I learned long ago not to go out and cook barefoot. Got a good burn between my toes once.

I really should get one, but just never think of it when I go down to Tucker. I've heard there are some issues retro-fitting - did you have any problems getting the screen to work with yours?
  • RRP
    Options
    here's a better shot of it...prior to adding the screen!
    IMG_0581.jpg
  • RRP
    Options
    Rod, Mine didn't come equipped either but I retro-fitted my large, med and small with them - I think they were like $7 a pop. No big deal to add that cheap "insurance"! I used a slotted screwdriver to gradually bend the tracks to accept the screen doors.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I had to do the same for my retrofit but it is not as smooth as my newer Egg that came with it installed.
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    At least I'm not the only one. Last summer I had a bb size piece of lump shoot out of the door and somehow got stuck in-between 2 of my toes. That burn took 6 weeks to heal.
    I still grill with flip flops on, but use the screen door every time.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Yeah, the screen does the job to hold those embers back. I should get my smoker egg a screen although I'm on concrete pavers, I wouldn't want loose embers rolling around into leaves or into the garage. I cook just outside the back garage door in winter.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Rod, The egg I rescued last year was supposed to be a year old. After closer inspection we feel it was older. Anyway it didn't have a screen in it. Like Ron I took a flat blade screwdriver and widen the channel. Good thing I had the egg apart and the base on the hot tub because it made it easier for me to work on. After working on widening the track several times then trying the screen I put it all together one last time. It's still tighter than my other large but it works.

000_1658.jpg

000_1732.jpg
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I like my screen door and I am cooking over paver stones.

Actually, I am going to have to replace it. I have big holes in mine.
  • grillmandan
    Options
    the screens are cheap! buy one at the sunshinestateeggfest if you don't have one.
    I will have them available for all sizes.