Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Good Lump - WOW!

Options
Jumping Joe
Jumping Joe Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
WOW - I ordered some Wicked Good Lump online just to check it out and I must say that this is the Best Lump I've used so far. I cooked a butt for around 19 hours and figured I'd try and see how long the Lump would last. After 22 hours I shut it down as it started to rain so I shut it down. The next day i opened up the Egg and to my surprise there was over 1/4 of the load left. I have made two additional cooks with the single load of Wicked Good Lump. Last nights high heat steak cook finished it off.....so I'm guessing that it could have easily gone well over 30 hours.

Since I ordered the Lump directly from the company the three bags were rather expensive but what the heck....if there are a few egger's that want to go in on a pallet of the Lump with me let me know? I live in Lakeland, TN.....

Here is the stocker log of the butt cook......

Picture1.jpg

Comments

• wkygriller
    Options
    You just missed out on a group bulk buy being delivered next week to Nashville. They do it once a year and it saves quite a bit of money. I've never tried wicked good before, but I ordered 20+ bags after hearing all of the good things about it here on the forum.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very good lump and even nicer people.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Anyone doing a pallet buy in Texas soon? Alvin? Darian? Anyone? Please? This stuff is REALLY that good! I got two bags last Nov. in Plano..thanks, Always Golf!
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    I can get the Wicked Good for about 15 a bag here, how does that price compare? I can get an 8lb bag of Cowboy for about 6 bucks, so about 12 for the same price. I heard they are pretty comparable.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Love their lump! hands down it is my first choice for about any cook I do. We used our last bag here in FL when we got down and miss it big time.
  • hornhonk
    Options
    Wicked Good and Cowboy are nothing alike. Kinda like comparing vienna sausage and bratwurst.
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    hornhonk wrote:
    Wicked Good and Cowboy are nothing alike. Kinda like comparing vienna sausage and bratwurst.

Good to know - I guess I will just buy the big bags of wicked and be done with it.
  • Jumping Joe
    Options
    I second that.....
  • hornhonk
    Options
    You'll never regret it.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I do like cowboy for baking. I find it lights fast and comes to temp fast. and hardly any smoke from it. so great for cakes and pies and such. but it is not long burning so I keep a bag handy for "tender" foods
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Metsfan, :laugh:, is that price for lump or briquettes? I picked up some lump from the distribution center and it was $13/22# bag. Local store price is about $24 as I recall. I find it hard to believe that in your neck of the woods, that same bag is only $15. Betcha it's briquettes.

And yeah, Cowboy is most definitely not comparable!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• R&R Futures Trader
    Options
    Love to take that bet!!! The more you order the cheaper the cost is. I was part of the Nashville order two years and it kept getting cheaper the more you order. Although I don't think if you order a 100 pallets it would be free. So if you can work out a couple of pallets order it would be fairly inexpensive... Go with group purchase, if it will be worth the effort.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I know. That's how I got my lump for $13. He's North Jersey and is talking about walking into a store and buying one bag for $15. HAS to be briquettes.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Garnerac
    Garnerac Posts: 134
    Options
    I would consider splitting a pallet with someone in Texas. Im just south of Austin. Anyone? Anyone?
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I do not want to start a war here, but I think Ozark Oak (made in Yellville, Arkansas) is as good or better than Wicked Good.

You should not have to drive too far West to find some and it is probably only about 6 hours to the factory where it is about $4/bag.

That would be an easy road trip if you could get people in on a group buy.
  • Jumping Joe
    Options
    I'll have to try it out.....wonder how far into AR I'd have to go? Do you think that if I called the company they would know the retailers that carry it?
  • hornhonk
    Options
    Bob, all I've ever used is Ozark Oak, that is until I got two bags of WG to try. There is a difference in the size of the pieces, the WG pieces are bigger, and the smell of the smoke...I like the WG smell a lot.I wouldn't use WG in my small or mini because of the size of the lump. I think they both burn a long time with little ash production. I don't know about the consistency of WG bags but I will say I've never had a bad bag of O.O. I will continue to use O.O but if I ever come across any more WG I'll jump on it! Generac, I hope you can score!
  • hornhonk
    Options
    Garnerac, if you can line up some other people, count me in.
  • Trip
    Trip Posts: 27
    Options
    Anybody in the Auburn, AL or even Atlanta area ever do a big buy on this stuff? I bought my first bag the other week and i am sold on this stuff; however, I would love to not have to pay $27 a bag.

Let me know if any of you are already buying in.

Thanks