Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question to Small Owners

Options
BigGreenGregg
BigGreenGregg Posts: 161
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I searched and didn't find any definitive answers - saved up and about to adopt a Small Egg (demo from Eggs in the Desert).

What is the consensus on the need for a platesetter for the new addition? I envision most low/slow, indirect, pizza, etc cooks to stay on the Large, but would love your feedback on the use of a platesetter on the Small

Please let me know, and Thanks!

Comments

• Bagger722
    Options
    First off, congrats on your Small BGE.

I started out with a small and did a fair amount of cooks on it without the plate setter. Finally went and had my local dealer order me one. Since I picked it up, t really hasn't left the Egg itself. It is well work the money, I think I paid around $25-30 for it.

A lot of the recipes I've found consistently want you to setup for indirect cooking.

My opinion is that it is def worth it. Just the other night, I flipped the setter over legs down and cooked a small pizza right on the setter. Came out awesome.

Just picked up my XL BGE and have to make it out to pick up the plate setter for it.

Happy Eggin'
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I have one, but don't really use it. I have for pizzas but not for low and slow cooks. On the other hand, I have the Cast grid for the S and will not buy one for the L.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I use it and the grate mates often, the plate setter mainly for higher temp indirect chicken
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, why not by a cast iron grate for the LG? That was gonna be one of my next purchases. Just looking for your opinion.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Now that you asked the question I realize that I don't use my platesetter in my small that often. I bought a Woo from the Ceramic Grill Store for raised direct cooks and semi-indirect (just a drip pan) cooks and probably could just put a small pizza stone on it for indirect. I do most of my indirect cooking on my XL.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • berrygood
    Options
    R2Egg2Q wrote:
    Now that you asked the question I realize that I don't use my platesetter in my small that often. I bought a Woo from the Ceramic Grill Store for raised direct cooks and semi-indirect (just a drip pan) cooks and probably could just put a small pizza stone on it for indirect. I do most of my indirect cooking on my XL.
    Same setup, but I actually do use the pizza stone as a deflector for my high temp chic cooks. All other indirect on LBGE.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I bought one a year ago with my small. It only sees use with a pizza stone for pizza. I use great mates for indirect. I put a foiled cake pan on the grate mate ring for my indirect barrier. I would say to still get it, I don't think I paid more than $40.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I would say I use the platesetter about 1/2 the time. Definitely worth it.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My grate mates stay in my small 90% of the time. Chicken is always direct (spatchcocked) on the tall gratemates.Have a platesetter but have used it only a couple of times in 4 years. I use the grate mate ring with a pie plate for indirect.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Gregg,

My ps doesn't get a lot of use, but I sure wouldn't want to be without it. With the right set-up and lump those smalls can go low and slow for 13+hours.
  • RedBag
    RedBag Posts: 72
    Options
    You can basically do anything on a small that you can do on a large and for me at least that means I need to be able to set them both up the same way. There are many times where I have them both going at the same time. The small is very helpful when cooking side dishes. If you are cooking in a DO for example you will want the PL to go indirect. It does not have to be a PS but you need something to go indirect with.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I use my platesetter, pizza stone & raised grid (from Ceramic Grill store)for my small a lot. I use them often at home and even more when we take the small camping or tailgating. I also have a wok that fits the small and I use it also...love it when camping and poppping popcorn... :lol:B)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Definately get a setter for the small. I do a verticle chicken(plate setter legs up/beer can)once every week or so. You can easily do a fattie and a dozen abt's at one time. Country ribs, single butt cooks, etc.
  • BigGreenGregg
    Options
    Thanks for the input from all of you. Looks like it's gonna be a purchase. Can't wait for Adoption Day!! 2 weeks and counting
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Two reason. The first is additional cost. The second is when I am doing steaks (why I use the CI), I generally cook 2-4 steaks and don't need to use the large. I would suggest one, just be prudent with your money.
  • tjl5709
    Options
    Grate Mates in my small. Use a small stone and a CI griddle for indirect. Multiple levels give more flexibility. Skip the plate setter.