Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Bacon-Wrapped Filet of Top Sirloin

Maria's TouchMaria's Touch Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got an Omaha Bacon-Wrapped Filet of Top Sirloin for my husband's birthday. Do I sear it first or reverse sear it? and what temp. Is mesquite chunks too strong for this meat? Filets are about 5 oz (3/4 inch thick. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Comments

• ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 1,989
    Those are so small I would think if you get a good high heat sear on both sides, 500 degrees plus. Then shut the egg completely down and let it sit for five minutes you would be more then good. Would have to actually see the meat though. Haven't gotten anything from Omaha in a while.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • PattyOPattyO Posts: 882
    I have called Omaha repeatedly asking the grade of meat that they sell. The only answer is "the best they can get". I push them further and they say Prime or Choice, and I ask if it is marked as such. No, just the best. I'd be very careful of Omaha. Also, look to see if it's been injected or soaked or somehow "tenderized" or "flavor enhanced". I don't trust Omaha.
  • I ordered from them before and wasn't that satisfied. (that was before I got the EGG). However, I got an email for a 71% savings - sucker I am! Oh well, I'll make sure there are other foods for the family to enjoy!

By the way, i hope your friend's mother got her wish for 100 cards?
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,665
    with 71% off thats not bad but with the egg grocery store choice is just fine with me. I am gonna have to try that dry age thing though just to see if I like it.