Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Tomatoes

Options
PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw Tyler Florence make pizza with smoked tomatoes. His were in Italy and smoked for three months! So, has anyone smoked tomatoes, and have instructions?
Thanks

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    smoked for three months?

i did some with light smoke

smokin_peppers_dried_tomatoes_01.jpg

dried them for a few hours and stored them in olive oil.

smokin_peppers_dried_tomatoes_03.jpg

smokin_peppers_dried_tomatoes_02.jpg

next time i would cut them in half instead of slicing them as thin as i did, because some dried out almost becoming next to nothing :laugh:

kept in the fridge in olive oil. still have some
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC08274a.jpg

I've not done them that long, they must come out like sun dried tomatoes....

For soups, sauces or just as a side I do mine in pans. The cupcake pans allow you to use different oil or seasonings during the same cook. The lower pit temp you have the more time for smoke to flavor them, and keep in mind that tomatoes (or tomato sauces) do take smoke easily, so start light on your first batch.

DSC00097aa.jpg

DSC09119a.jpg

DSC09121a.jpg

DSC09028a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Borrowed the idea from Chubby a few years back, still have some in EVOO after 2 years.

I have done these a few times, in the oven at 250F and on the BGE 250-275F Borrowed the idea from Chubby. I use roman split lengthwise, deseeded, evoo, seasoning salt, italian seasoning garlic powder and the purple flowers from my basil bush. Careful toward the end. you need to keep checking 'cause some will dry out faster than the rest. usually 2-3 hours at 250F. I do cookie sheets with aluminum foil. After cooled I wrap in paper towel and place in refrigerator. Richard Fl. Fishlessman's look great.

Tomatoes, Dried, Chubby

Yesterday...I had the most wonderful smelling house...if you're Itallian, or Itallian at heart!!In order to get better flavor from tomatos this time of year I occassionally watch for Roma's (on sale), buy a bunch, and spend a couple days slow roasting/drying them to concentrate the flavors!!Pretty simple..

INGREDIENTS:

1 Procedure:
    2 Slice lengthways....scoop out most of the seeds and juice.
    3 Drizzle with "good" Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic.
    4 Sprinkle with diced garlic, fresh ground black pepper, grey salt, sweet basil... and thyme.
    5 Slow roast on a cooling rack over a sheet (or jelly roll) pan for 3-4 hours @ 275.
    6 If you have a Convection oven...use it!
    7 Store in the Refrigerator.

Recipe Type
    Condiment

Recipe Source
    Author: Chubby

Source: BGE Forum, Chubby, 2006/03/03

They sure come in handy for salads, pasta dishes, or as a condiment on sandwiches!!

They're a staple at "Chubby's Crib".. all year round!!

Evans
  • PattyO
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'll give these a try. It'll be a long time til we get good tomatoes here. I'll keep my eye open for a special on the Romas. Great things are worth waiting for. All great ideas. Tyler's mentor in Italy baked her crust with the smoked tomatoes and EVOO, then later added pinches of fresh cheese and back to the oven for the melt. More EVOO when it came out of the oven. Oh my, did that ever look good.
  • stike
    Options
    alright, yoo. these are great pics, which i don't recall seeing. you must be posting elsewhere, too. what gives? you cheating on us in another forum?

i've never considered doing tomatoes as an actual side dish. those look great.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,821
    Options
    take some in the beginning of the smoke before they dry out and make an eggs benedict with it on a good biscuit. a lightly smoked mater slice makes an awesome eggs benedict
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    PattyO

Never smoked them but have fire roasted for pasta sauce.

P1020369.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    Options
    i think even the watery greenhouse tomatoes will come out fantastic when you dry them, because they condense incredibly, losing all that flavorless water.

maybe give it a try now, and perfect your approach, and then you'll be ready late summer when you have plenty of fresh ones

(ok. i gotta get to work. i'll leave you all in peace :) )
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    PattyO
    The trouble with smoking/drying on BGE or in oven, is that they are so incredibly delish, they never make it to the 2nd day!
    Nothing beats a really good tomato :)
  • PattyO
    Options
    Did you put them thru a food mill? Smoked sauce sounds great too.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    No, just peeled, seeded and chopped. One of our grocery chains sells a house brand fire roasted tomato sauce and I wanted to see if it was better making my own. It was but a load of work.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    your post reminded me that last fall I had put a sack full of green tomatoes down in a dark, cool spot in my basement. Guess what yucky mess I found this morning! :sick::sick::sick:
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    ewwww
    what rotten luck :S
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    RuckRow! :sick: Ya gotta check em once a week. ;) But you know that. :)
  • RRP
    Options
    actually I had checked a couple times and then the ol' outta sight outta mind thing took over! Oh well not a big loss as most all were cherry tomatoes anyway and probably no more than a pound of them at that.
  • stike
    Options
    i find my fruit and vegetables stay fresh in these plastic bags.

click>>>Veggie Fresh Bags

no way would my wife let me store green tomatoes in the basement. YUCK!

(relax. seems some folks yesterday took things way too personally. i hope you weren't one of them... :) )
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Patty, nice post with many mouth watering contributions. :) I've only roasted tomatoes, sometimes slow roasting until dehydrated on the egg. They shrink up to nothing. I've never added smoke, just picked up a nice subtle smokiness from the lump.

Seems that you're into smoking EVERYTHING lately. :laugh: :laugh:
  • ranger ray
    Options
    wow! what a great idea..... can't wait to try it.... a long way off.... till the next tomato harvest time....i refuse to eat the junk they sell in stores.... tasteless!.... thanks! ray
  • ranger ray
    Options
    wow! what a great idea..... can't wait to try it.... a long way off.... till the next tomato harvest time....i refuse to eat the junk they sell in stores.... tasteless!.... thanks! ray
  • ranger ray
    Options
    what kind of wood did you use? thanks! rr
  • RRP
    Options
    no - but my failure was to have merely added a smiley face at the end of my tongue in cheek reply to Little Steven the other night about puking which started the whole thing! At least that would have averted some of the worst of the attacks - I just decided to shut up, cover my head and vital organs until the blanket party was over and I could crawl home to lick my wounds. :laugh: :woohoo: :P :) and all those other appropriate emoticons!
  • PattyO
    Options
    Tomatoes taste like potatoes this time of year.
  • stike
    Options
    not if you dry them though.. that's the point as much as keeping them.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,821
    Options
    could you dry bag them maters a couple months, then into the oil :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Tidecreek
    Options
    I saw that episode they weren't smoked for three months they looked almost fresh, so I woulden't think more than a day? They said they keep for three months after smoking. I thought that was pretty interesting.
    Becky