Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

whats the highest temp for Pork Butt to plateau at

Options
usudno
usudno Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm at 171 degrees and i don't think it has hit a plateau yet. 8.45lbs butt been on since 6 a.m. started at 250 till 11 then bumped up to 280. Whats the highest you guys have seen one plateau at? Or do i have an illusive turbo butt? also what are the proper storing instructions. I'm sure it has at least another hour or two on the pit. Company will be here at 3:00 any time after 3 it can be ate. Thats for the help.

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Helps to let us know what time zone you are in. :(
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    I would say you are there now. Just be patient. Pull it at about 199. If you are getting impatient then foil it with a little apple juice or stock.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    there's no true 'flat' line. it's a slow slog thru 165-185, with a lot of scratching and beer sipping while thinking "damn, she's still at 175? (or 165, or 180)"
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Dunno what the highest is, but I'm cooking one right now and it's been at 183° for what seems like forever!! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• boston_stoker
    Options
    Fill a cooler up with hot water in the tub. Close the lid, and let it sit for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, wrap the butt in foil, and then wrap it in a towel or two. Empty the cooler, and put your butt in their. That should buy you two to four hours.
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    By the way, what happened to using the Myron Mixon method?
  • usudno
    Options
    central time zone lol. Mixons method seemed like it was almost cheating. Its still creaping up. Its at 174 right now. I'm going to leave it at 280 and let it rip. How long should i foil it on.. lets say at 3:30 its at 180... will an hour in the foil do the trick or longer??
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    My experience has only been with smaller cuts (3-6#) and they usually stall in the 160-165 range... so wannaful when da temp starts to rise again!!~~
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    An hour is fine.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • usudno
    Options
    Just an update.... finished early!!! actually right around 3:45. I foiled and wraped with towels tossed in the ice chest and couple hours later.... damn thats good stuff. To bad my saints didn't show up :( We'll get em next year.