Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet another danger zone / fire went out question

Options
Byron
Byron Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok,
the danger zone is 40-140 for 4 hours? Or 2 hours?
I ask because I had a fire go out for the first time this morning on a butt :(
Once the egg hit 140, it took 2 hrs and 15 minutes before I caught it, and got down to 74. The internal temp of the butt went from 154 where it had been in a plateau for a few hours down to 110. The external temp of the meat was 95 when I threw it in the oven to get the egg going again, I'm guessing it hit 140 right after the grid hit 140? Which would have been right at 2 hours. Any advice? The butt had been on 5 hours when the fire went out and 7 hours when it hit 140. If you're wondering where all the numbers came from, I've got a stoker hooked up to it. If you're wondering why the stoker didn't go off when the fire went out, I'm not sure yet.
Thanks,
Byron

Comments

• thegrillster
    Options
    You know, I don't get too bent out of shape about that but I am probably not as cautious as I should be.

I would probably use it.

But I am not saying that is correct.

I am sure there are some who could give more accurate assessment of the situation.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Thats really strange! I did have a bad fan one time on my Stoker and it kept locking up the stoker - fortunately I have two fans (one for each of my eggs) so it was easy troubleshooting... I talked to John at Rocks BBQ and we worked out a swaparoo and no problems anymore.

Wish I could help you on the danger zone ?? but maybe there is a food scientist somewhere to give some real expert advice..
  • Byron
    Options
    Ok thanks.
    The oven got it back up to 199 external and 130 internal, it's back on the egg and above 140 internal now. I agree that it will probably be fine, I think I just wanted to hear someone else say it too.
    As for the stoker, that was user error not setting the alarm properly.
    -Byron
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i think they changed the 4 hours to 2 a couple years back but i havent changed it :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Byron, were you able to determine why the fire went out? Just wondering if it was a centre burn or something else that caused it.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    It's your call...I'd eat it/serve it and not think twice about it...

the 4 hours is supposed to include prep time and everything else, so they changed it to two since they figured people had no idea....

The rule is kind of bogus and rigid but is designed to be ultra conservative and easy to understand, even for folks flipping burgers (trying to find a nice way to say less than inteligent)

don't worry about the internal temp of the meat, it is the exterior temp you are worried about....It is really how long was the grid temp below 140.....
  • Byron
    Options
    Chris,
    Thanks. The total time it was under 140 external was like 2:15 so I'm going to keep on going with it. 180 internal now, so I'm guessing it will finish in time for me to eat a big chuck of it and see if I get sick before I serve it tonight.

Gary,
    Umm, yeah. Well, the fire went out because all the lump burned up :blush: . I've been really good about building the fire like people say on this site with the big chucks at the bottom and making sure the fire gets great air flow and all. For some reason though, I just didn't put near enough in this time. Oh well, this is only my 5th or so low and slow, I'm still learning.
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    That's why I always say you should fill the lump almost to the top of the fire ring, way past the fire box. I fill mine up to about two inches from the bottom of the plate setter and have burned at 250 for over 24 hours and still had lump left.

That sucks about the fire going out, but I have had my fire grate get clogged and the temp drop a good bit in the middle of the night. I just shook the grate and went on cooking.

You and your guests will be fine. No worries on the pork being bad now.
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    What matters is how long meat was in danger zone of 40-140. The limit is 4 hours in the danger zone, but this is a rule of thumb. When meat is between 100 and 120 degrees Fahrenheit bacteria counts double every 20 to 30 minutes, so this zone is extra sensitive. Also whole cuts of meat like a bone in butt are safer that cut up pieces ( boneless butt ) because the majority of the bacteria tends to only be on surface. Ground meat is the worst safety wise.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I'm not too anal about putting large chunks on the bottom or what have you, but I ensure I fill that badboy up. I use a guru now so I'm sure that helps eat through the charcoal. I use royal oak and don't always find I get too many large pieces, but lots of medium and small so I just dump it all in there. When I get my fire going I use a few of the larger pieces to tent over the fire starters and that's it. Never have an issue.

Glad you got it to recover. Good call on going into the oven. I'd have been getting my fire going and had left it out. LOL.